A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,805
Currently Running With Scissors:
528 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Buzz Lightyear and Squeaky Alien  (Read 1834 times)
Tags for this thread: halloween_costume , craft_challenge_44_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TrickyMcVomit
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Uniclown.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 01, 2012 04:13:55 PM »

I started conjuring up Buzz Lightyear in August. I researched a TON of home made Buzz costumes, female versions and full armor replicas. Even though I planned so much, it came out way different than I expected...and everything is hand sewn, hand painted and hot glued (except the corset and the skirt)

Craftser - http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=394211.0
Coolest Homemade Costumes - http://www.coolest-homemade-costumes.com/buzz-lightyear-costume.html
RPF (Where I got the decal templates)http://www.therpf.com/f24/buzz-lightyear-costume-ideas-89095/

I also watched the movie, I even used photoshop and took a still frame of Buzz and made the exact shape into the chest plate but we'll get to that later...

Alright then...where to begin....

I have the top over a black leather corset. The top is made of a sweatshirt, the sleeves were cut off and turned into leg warmers (The wrist cuff is at my knee, I have white leggings on too) and a turtleneck was sewn underneath. The gauntlets were bought but I cut the fingers off and attached a laser to my right wrist (you can see it peeking)

All "decals" were hand painted. The chest plate is made of a thin foam yoga mat. I made a pattern directly from a still of Buzz in Toy Story. I cut out 3 identical pieces and layered them with hot glue. Everything is covered in fleece. The buttons are wood, my laser button is beer bottle caps....
The wings.
If I couldn't get these wings, I wasn't going to bother being Buzz.
http://collider.com/toy-story-3-at-toy-fair-take-a-look-at-the-toys-disney-pixar-will-sell-you-later-this-year/16677/toy-story-3-buzz-lightyear-deluxe-action-wing-pack/ They open and close with the push of a button, they light up and they talk.
They are also extremely expensive. I was lucky enough to find a pair on Craigslist for dirt cheap. I was so excited...until the voice mechanism immediately gave out.

I had to rerig it anyways because the chest plate was child size, but at that point I also had to take the whole thing apart. Turns out I just had to shorted the speaker wire because it was shredded inside. I soldered for the first time! I used soldering paste, but I did good! here is a back shot of the wiring all electrical taped. The speaker was tucked into the green part but I took it out to show it off to you guys.

I made new straps from purple ribbon and covered that halfway in green fleece. The button to open the wings was originally on the chest but I had to move it to my shoulder because it wouldn't reach. I mean it was built for a child so...

Here is a closeup shot of my Pizza Planet Alien. I patterned it after a winter hat he wears and hand sewed it. The eyes are made of cat toys and hot glue. The antennae is glued to a headband which the hat hides, so that it will stand straight up.
I painted the Pizza Planet logo on this shirt which houses a squeaker. He isn't as high tech as Buzz, but a simple piece to a dog toy really made it that much more special.

...Oh, I almost forgot! I was going to make my gloves but they were too bulky and I didn't want to waste this painting, so I made it into a small purse =0)

I slaved over this buzz Lightyear costume...but the fun I had in it was incredibly worth it. People who were already in awe that I made them myself nearly exploded when my wings came out by themselves.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012 06:35:37 AM »

AMAZING!! Love the alien hat and all the details on your buzz. Just awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TrickyMcVomit

Uniclown.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012 04:03:49 PM »

Thank you! I'm so lucky that my boyfriend let's me have full creative control when it comes to Halloween costumes =0)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Golden Globes 2014 Beauty Trends
Bold Eyes and Bold Lips
Full of Volume
Katia Beauchamp With Marlo Thomas
How To Conceal Wrinkles Without Looking Pasty, from Katia Beauchamp
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...