A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 305,026
Currently Running With Scissors:
671 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jameson Lamp  (Read 2793 times)
Tags for this thread: lamp  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MindyJo

Aspiring Jane of All Trades

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2012 08:29:43 PM »

So I recently hit the 1 year mark with my boyfriend so I wanted to make him something that he could use and we could keep around and always remember it was from our first year together. His favorite liquor is Jameson, and I had an empty bottle sitting on my countertop for months and I kept thinking it would be cool if I could do something Jameson-related for him. Then, about a week ago it hit me - that bottle would make an awesome lamp!

So, I ordered a Diamond Drill Bit from Amazon to drill a hole in the glass, purchased a bottle-to-lamp kit from Home Depot and went in search of a lampshade to match the bottle.

Unfortunately, I didn't find the lampshade, and the bottle-to-lamp kit didn't have a rubber stopper that would fit the mouth of the Jameson bottle so I had to be a little creative to get the look I wanted. I ended up painting a white lampshade black with a little thinned out acrylic paint, I would basically paint a coat over a 1-2 inch section, then use a dry paper towel to rub away excess paint. This kept it from feeling plastic-y when it was done and allowed the paint to be thick enough to be black,but not so thick as to keep light from coming through the shade completely.

I used the diamond bit to drill a 16mm hole in the bottom of the bottle about an inch from the bottom. It was pretty easy really, and I had seen a neat trick on a youtube video to use plumbers putty to keep the bit dry while you drilled (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaAguZdPMzM) It worked like a charm!

The lamp kit was interesting. I ended up shaving the largest rubber stopper down until it would fit into the bottle, and when I assembled the lamp, I pushed it far enough down into the bottle that the cap would go back onto the bottle. I also chose to thread the wire up through the center of the stopper and threaded piece so that it would exit the drilled hole I made before. The rest of the hookup went right along with the directions on the bottle, except instead of the lamp piece being up against the brass cap that came with the lamp kit, it was up against the lid of the bottle.

I'm really happy with how it turned out!

(Sorry for the long winded explanation)

The finished product! He loved it Smiley

The hole that I drilled through the bottle. You can see it splintered a little bit on the inside, but I think if I had been a little slower with the drilling that wouldn't have happened. You can hardly notice it when the lamp is on the nightstand though.

The lamp with the bottle cap still on it. I regret not taking a picture of the rubber stopper, but it's completely hidden by the metal on the bottle.

Links to what I used in case someone else wanted to make one:
Diamond Drill Bit http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00899COJY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
Bottle-to-lamp kit from Home Depot http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100192701/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=make+a+lamp&storeId=10051#.UJc_zRimBpE
Plumbers Putty http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202312407/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=plumbers+putty&storeId=10051#.UJdAZBimBpE
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012 08:31:01 PM by MindyJo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"At high speeds, unhappiness is slightly ridiculous."
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012 01:24:10 PM »

I like the way you left the cap in place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012 08:30:07 PM »

This is really awesome.  I'm glad you also left the label on the bottle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HandyCraftsman
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012 10:58:04 AM »

I love the lamp.  I often drill bottles or glass block to put strings of LED Christmas lights inside.  I've never thought of using a bottle to make a shaded lamp.

The slight chipping on drilling your glass bottle was probably caused by too much pressure or possibly from lack of water lubrication.  The best How-To advice I've found on drilling glass is here:

http://www.ameriglasco.com/Glass-Diamond-Drill-Bits/Diamond-Core-Drill-How-To-Drill-Glass.shtml

I've learned that I need to "back off" on the pressure when I get nearly through the glass.  Otherwise, it tends to chip out some on the backside, just like when drilling in wood.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
teapartyanimal
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013 01:19:18 AM »

What a great project! You have inspired me to try something similar with those beautiful big medicinal looking hendricks bottles!!

Congrats on your 1 year with your boyfriend!

Thanks for the handy links too
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.teapartyanimal.com.au

Creative minds are rarely tidy!
MickeymooMichelle
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013 08:32:53 PM »

That is an awesome idea for a man with a home pub. I love it.
I might try it for my hubby. Just need t wait for the Johnny walker bottle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Self confessed crafter!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sherry Lansing: You Married Your First Boyfriend
Callie Khouri: Oscar-Winning Writer & Creator of "Nashville"
Callie Khouri: Being a Female Director
Callie Khouri: A Director She Could Trust
Callie Khouri: Female Characters Vs. Role Models
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...