A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,141
Currently Running With Scissors:
463 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Effie Trinket - Hunger Games - "That is mahogany!" - Lots o' pics!  (Read 3491 times)
Tags for this thread: halloween_costume , hunger_games , effie_trinket , craft_challenge_44_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jampvending
« on: November 04, 2012 07:57:35 PM »

This Halloween the odds were ever in my favor to recreate the venerable Effie Trinket! Here is my homage to Capitol Couture!

I bought all the fabric at a local fabric discount store. I bought about 4 yards of the pink brocade (which was way more than I needed), 1/2 a yard of pink lining and 1 yard of gold lining. Including notions, I walked out of the fabric store spending about $30. I made the outfit in 3 separate pieces. The pencil skirt was made from a free pattern I found on burdastyle.com. Here is the link http://www.burdastyle.com/patterns/ak-pencil-skirt.

The balloon peplum was created loosely following some of the guidance from youtube tutorials. Here's one of the ones that broke it down well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT2oMemC3jk

The top was quite tricky as I didn't have a picture of Effie's back and I couldn't quite figure out how to make the off-the-shoulder sleeves. I found I vest pattern at Walmart for under $3. I cut the shoulders a bit to give it a more "halter" look  and finagled the sleeves using rectangular pieces of the brocade, pressing pleats, and then handsewing on to the underside of the collar in the front and the armhole in the back.

I found a pair of shoes on http://www.amiclubwear.com/. The trick was to find a pair of high heeled booties that had an open toe and a zipper in the front. Although I dearly love the gold $1500+ Alexander McQueen Faithful booties, sadly, they are out of my price range!  Cry. I found these tootsies on sale for $9.99 and I found an online coupon for 30% off. So just over $7 and a short drive to the wherehouse (How fortuitous to live close to the shipping site!) they were MINE! My darling hubby was kind enough to spray paint them gold for me. I held them in place with gold tone brads (the kind that you can bind a stack of papers with). Can you believe it!?

I found the wig on Amazon. I think it was called a Lady Gaga Curly Blonde wig. I found mine for under $10. The hair flower was a Christmas ornament I made more substantial by hot gluing gold petals I sewed from the leftover lining fabric from the jacket/top. I hot glued a hair clip to the back of it.

I did my makeup and nails just following youtube videos. Youtube has tutorials on everything!

Many volunteer tributes that night! It was glorious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jezzebelle
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012 09:44:23 PM »

Very nice!  Love the poofy sleeves!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tankrgrl
TankrGrl

Not a mess, controlled chaos

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012 12:36:51 AM »

Nice!! It turned out beautifully!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Willing to swap/trade/pay for Harry Potter fabric to make a quilt for my daughter, just send a PM Smiley

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
pinkpinkycat
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012 05:40:49 AM »

You really did a fantastic job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jampvending
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012 07:35:58 AM »

Thank you all! I wish there were more opportunities for me to dress up in costume!  I would wear this all the time! Can't wait to see what Effie will wear in the next Hunger Games installment!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
babalina58
Friends don't let friends craft alone :)

4 wheels move the body 2 wheels free the soul!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012 10:07:58 AM »

LOVE IT!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/babalina58/

I am able to do personal swaps again so lets get some going Cheesy
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012 12:11:20 PM »

You look wonderful!  That jacket is to die for!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
jampvending
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012 07:55:08 AM »

Thank you!!! Grin

The jacket, although the most difficult to make, namely because I modified an existing pattern and kinda conjured the sleeves, is my favorite! Although, I love the shoes, and the hair clip, and the bubble peplum, and...pretty much everything Effie!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
OCmom12345
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012 06:01:52 PM »

OMG!!! I wish I would have thought of that for my costume this Halloween. It looks awesome!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
navycowgirl
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012 02:14:40 PM »

Amazing! You're super talented.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Mojo Jojo from The Powerpuff Girls
How to Draw Miss Martian from Young Justice
How to Draw Mikey Simon
How to Draw Michael Jackson
How to Draw Megi Simpson
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...