A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 305,732
Currently Running With Scissors:
579 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ironman! including some step by step and materials used (pic obese)  (Read 4161 times)
Tags for this thread: iron_man , featured_project , craftster_best_of_2012  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alohamom2three
I really should be sleeping...

Wow...can't believe I won something!

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2012 05:42:40 PM »

This Halloween the army decided it was time to move and by the time I got my household goods were delivered it was October 15th...so 24 hours a day crafting gave me my three daughter's costumes...Ironman, the Lorax and an elf!  It was pretty intense but so much fun!

Here's my Ironman:

I'm so sad that my thigh pieces didn't work but I think it still is pretty good Smiley

The helmet we made from the pattern pieces from a paper pattern program called pepakura.

The whole construction is out of Foam camping mats

cut with a hot knife (it's a wood burner with a knife attachment) and sometimes shaped with a heat gun.  I learned about this process from xrobots...you can look up their tutorial on youtube.

Aside from the helmet, all the other pieces were drafted by myself just from looking at pictures

The hand was pretty labor intensive to make the articulated fingers and the palm lights were camping squeeze lights.

To finish the foam so it wouldn't look so much like foam, I mixed paint and tacky glue to build up a flexible layer and then finished with a layer of fabric paint.

It's by no means perfect but a fun project and a new technique to practice with the foam!

Here's a pic of all my girls together.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am always doing what I don't know how to do, in order to learn how to do it. -Vincent Van Gogh
Mamaneedles
)O(

Homeschooling explains a lot of my crafts!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012 05:59:00 PM »

Wow- so much skills! Very beautiful! The 3 costumes are awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Previously known as MamanTattoo.
My Blog!
I made a chidlren's book about homebirth!!
spaz2phreek
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012 07:07:01 AM »

Thank you for sharing some details and that link...have been considering a robot costume for a couple of years but wasn't sure how to tackle it. It has just moved a step closer to actually happening.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft till it hurts.
AmberLamps
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012 05:41:35 PM »

Wow! All three of these costumes just blow me away, absolutely amazing! So much talent Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
misskohaku
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012 03:33:40 AM »

All three costumes are amazing!

And as random as this might sound, I'm one of your techie ninjas from Hawaii. Hi!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012 04:56:49 PM »

I'm in awe! You make it sound so easy, but I know exactly how hard it can be to shape that sheet foam accurately, and you did a brilliant job. Little touches like the palm lights absolutely make it!

And the other two, that you didn't talk about at all, are equally stunning. Congratulations!

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alohamom2three
I really should be sleeping...

Wow...can't believe I won something!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012 06:22:11 AM »

First of all I just saw that I'm a featured project...thanks jungrrl!

Thanks to everyone for the comments...I love challenging myself with a new technique...add a deadline and some adversity and it's even better!

All three costumes are amazing!

And as random as this might sound, I'm one of your techie ninjas from Hawaii. Hi!

Send me a message and tell me your name so I can say hi (although we both know names are not my strong suit  Roll Eyes
And thanks for commenting...funny to run into each other on craftster!  If you look back through my posts you'll see some masks I made for Beauty and the Beast with Tri School in Hawaii...were you with me then?

I'm in awe! You make it sound so easy, but I know exactly how hard it can be to shape that sheet foam accurately, and you did a brilliant job. Little touches like the palm lights absolutely make it!

And the other two, that you didn't talk about at all, are equally stunning. Congratulations!

Wulf

Thanks Wulf!  Always nice to hear compliments from someone who has worked with the materials.  It's giving me great ideas for sets and costumes now...that hot knife cutting beats xactos and heat guns are awesome...I'm designing for Little Mermaid soon...I think there will be a lot of foam in the costuming  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am always doing what I don't know how to do, in order to learn how to do it. -Vincent Van Gogh
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012 09:09:05 PM »

You win the super mom award.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Isididamentri
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012 09:04:34 PM »

I think it is wonderful..Especialy when you see the 3 costumes on a row..realy something to be proud of..I Love the lights !!!
Stefanie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013 09:16:11 AM »

Congrats!!

You're a Craftster Best of 2012 Winner!

Craftster Best of 2012 Winner

Feel free to use this badge as your avatar!
If you'd like to use it as a badge on your personal website or blog, you can grab the full code at the bottom of this page.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bert Fink Talks About The Sound of Music Pop-Up Book
Alan Snow Talks About Here Be Monsters
Rebecca Chance Talks About Divas
Reynolds Price Reveals Who He Admires Most
Wake Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...