A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
840 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mother Bear Project  (Read 1799 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Bourgeois
« on: July 01, 2005 10:45:32 AM »

Many of you may have heard about this charity knitting/crocheting project, but I didn't notice anything about it on here so I wanted to share the news. 
Basically you send $3 (covers the shipping to Africa) and they send you a pattern for a cute teddy bear.  All the bears are sent to children "infected or affected by AIDS" in developing countries. 
You should check out the site, there are photos of the kids with their bears, so freakin cute. 

http://www.motherbearproject.org/index.html

I've made one bear so far, and working on my second.  The pattern is quick and easy (and fun).  Plus you tie a tag on their arm with your name.  And they know someone cares (so magical).

Hey I want to know if anyone is doing this!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.theknittingdietitian.blogspot.com
on ravelry- knittingdietitian
Robyn Lisa
Avid Reader

Jewrific

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005 08:47:13 PM »

I would love to, but I can't knit Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

theatrechick

Picking new hobbies is my hobby

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005 09:44:32 AM »

They are cute!  I would love to do this, but to be honest my knitting skills are pretty much: scarf, scarf, potholder.  What are the requirements to make the bear?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
putzycrafter
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005 09:44:41 PM »

Even if you are a beginning knitter this is a great project!  These can be super simple with just a garter stich or as elaborate as you skill allows.  I've made 5 so far.  I've been using them as a way to experiment with new stiches. So, my skill level improves and kids get bears.  Plus its a pretty "totable" project, so I always have it in the car for something to do.  Give it a try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bourgeois
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005 08:34:35 AM »

They really are not difficult if you do the basic bear.  They are really fun for a quick project when you are tired of making scarves.
Once you get the pattern you will realize its easier than you expected.  Hey, feel free to PM me if you want more info!!

Pictures for fun!

« Last Edit: August 10, 2005 08:38:03 AM by Bourgeois » THIS ROCKS   Logged

manypheathers
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005 09:24:34 AM »

Hi everyone! They said they do except crochet bears. We would just have to figure out our own pattern from the knitted pattern they offer. I am going to try to figure one out on my own. Such a cool cause!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One nation under a groove. Gettin' down just for the funk of it.
anniekate
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005 01:58:06 PM »

As of today, they now are offering a crochet version of the pattern. They didn't have that a week ago when I ordered the knit version. Sigh. Tongue

It's a very simple pattern. It's all straight rectangular knitting; there are no increases or decreases. You just switch colors to delineate the body/clothing parts.

You knit one leg, then leave that leg on your needle and leave it alone while you knit the other leg up to the same point. Then you knit across the top of both legs and keep going for the top of the pants, the shirt, the head, the back of the shirt, the back of the top of the pants, and the backs of the legs. You then add arms, sew it up, stuff it, sew the corners of the head to make ears, and embroider a face and make the bear a little scarf. Awww. Then you sign the tag they sent (or just include $3 for the shipping to Africa, if you're making a second or third or fourth bear, and they add the tag) and mail it in!

No gauge is specified, but the pattern calls for size 7 needles, worsted weight washable yarn, the body is 20 stitches across, and they say the head is 2 3/4 inches tall when folded over, if that gives you any idea how big a project it is.

It really should be easy to figure out the crochet version based on the knit version, but people who haven't ordered the pattern yet should just specify which version of the pattern they want.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2005 08:23:49 AM by anniekate » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Margaretrose
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006 03:01:17 PM »

I've just started my first bear and I'm not quite understanding what you do when you knit the second leg on the same needle.  Do you use another ball of yarn or cut the first one.  If you cut it, how long? and then what do you do with it?  Any help would be appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bourgeois
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006 10:49:45 AM »

You should cut the first strand, I usually leave it pretty long.  Then, just do the same as you would start the first leg, just leaving the other on the needle.  Then when they are the same length, knit across both legs (all of the stitches on your needle).

I hope this was helpful, and not confusing.  Let me know if you need more help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

razorsharp

rely a bit too heavily on alcohol and irony.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2006 06:03:13 PM »

Well I just ordered a pattern for my mother in law and I. We'll probably convert it to crochet for the first couple and I might work in knit for a few (we plan to make several to use up our respective stashes of yarn we've had sitting around collecting dust.) She can't knit at all and I have a very basic ability in knit, but we're both pretty accomplished at crochet. I'll try to post some picks of any that we finish.

And we may be asking questions as well, since neither of us has ever attempted a teddy bear.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

design. dye. knit. spin. sip.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get Your DQ Blizzard Fix Noon or Night With This Home Hack
Deep-Dish Plum-Almond Pie Recipe
Red, White and Blue Trifle Recipe
How to Make Chocolate Chip Cherry Cookies
Patriotic 4th of July Sugar Cookies Designs
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...