A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 300,926
Currently Running With Scissors:
339 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sally Stitches  (Read 901 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AmberLamps
« on: November 11, 2012 09:54:50 AM »

This year my daughter was Sally Stitches from the movie The Nightmare Before Christmas.
I wanted to start with a basic dress, so I used pattern #4927 ("It's So Easy-Simplicity")
The only changes I made to the pattern was adding 3-4 inches to the length of each sleeve, and 4-5 inches to the length of the dress.  I used white fabric, cutting out the front of the dress, and the two back pieces of the dress. I stitched the two back pieces together, then sewed the front to the back at the shoulder seams.  Using pink, yellow, teal, and black, I cut out the different shapes and did my best to imitate the look of Sally's dress (though I used brighter colors than in the movie). First I pinned the pieces to the white front of the dress, and when I was finally content with how they looked, I sewed them in place; then I did the same thing with the back of the dress.  
Next I sewed the front to the back at the side seams.  
I painted black lines on the yellow sleeve using black fabric paint and let it dry before sewing it to the dress.
I also used black fabric paint to add the details to the rest of the dress; swirls & triangles in the top pink sections; stripes, circles, dots, etc in some of the other sections.  For the big black circles (in the teal sections) I used black fabric and attached it with double-sided fusing stuff.  
I did the same thing for the 3 small square "patches" on the dress.  
I used black yarn  to add the stitched/ragdoll effect (I actually did this step after Halloween.  I didn't have a chance to finish it before we went trick-or-treating...but a couple days later I added it anyway, lol).
I snipped at the ends of the sleeves and the hem of the dress, giving it that raggedy look.
Under the dress she wore a white long-sleeved shirt; I used black permanent marker to draw stitches on the sleeves. I used black fabric paint to draw stitches on her thick white tights.  I drew stitches on her face with a black makeup crayon.
I had planned on making a yarn wig for the Sally costume, but ran out of time...very typical of me,lol.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012 01:55:45 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lady Orizas

knitter & gunslinger

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012 04:12:08 PM »

great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Interlocking Poses for Deep Stretches
The Magic of Puppetry
How to make a Chocolate Vodka Martini
How to Audition
INVADER- Rubix Cubism- Indoor- Part 2
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...