A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,567
Currently Running With Scissors:
552 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Greenheat on a micro scale for a small greenhouse  (Read 538 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sunbala
« on: November 04, 2012 02:26:44 PM »

My wonderful husband built me an 8 foot by 6 foot greenhouse this summer. We are trying to figure out how to responsibly heat this wonderful space for the mild Tennessee winter.

I have veggie table scraps,dead leaves,and a prodigiously pooping bunny,so clearly the answer for the heat problem is compost! But the floor of my greenhouse is not diggable, so the common compost trench with pipes and grates will not work.

So I am trying 2 experiments:

1 using haybails to build compost piles next to the greenhouse, with a double layered cardboard "Wall" to protect the greenhouse wall.

2. Using my largest ceramic flowerpots as "braziers" full of compost inside the greenhouse.

Compost recipe: like a lasagna layer leaves or paper shreds, bunny poo, veggie table scraps, leaves bunny poo, etc. till pot/ bail box is full , watering each layer as you go. For aesthetics make top layer leaves. Stir water and repoo as needed by bunny hut cleaning and temperature cycle.

I know the bail boxes will get hot, but I don't know if the heat transfer will be enough because the pile heats from its center. I'm not sure the flower pots will heat very well at all because the mix is small and not in contact with the wonderfull supply of " earth germs". Given by the ground.

I might try to run some scrap metal from the center of the bail boxes to the greenhouse wall. For the pots I'll try adding some earth if they don't heat.

If anyone has suggestions or composting/heating wisdom to share, I'd appreciate it.

Cheers!

« Last Edit: November 04, 2012 02:30:21 PM by Sunbala » THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012 07:58:09 AM »

How about a black rain barrel full of water (if there's room)?  You'll have both thermal mass for heating as well as a reservoir for watering.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
PaperBeau
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013 03:05:46 AM »

Or a smaller version of MissingWillow's idea - paint old plastic bottles black and fill them with water Smiley then they can nestle right in among your plants.

Or you can put in a little firepit, and use your greenhouse as a place to chill out near the fire on particularly cold days. You can then use the wood ash for roses or your compost if you have a lot of acidic citrus peels going in Smiley Surround the fire pit with big stones, and they will store up the heat and let it out slowly overnight even after the fire is safely out. That's what we did in when I lived in a tipi.

Good luck Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Challah Pumpkin Bread Pudding Is a Thanksgivukkah Miracle
Donut Chips Recipe
How to Make the Perfect Pie at Home
Nutritious Kid-Friendly Thanksgiving Treats
Thanksgiving Dessert: How to Make a Pumpkin Bourbon Walnut Tart
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...