A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,393
Currently Running With Scissors:
894 Guests and 56 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Monster High: Customization questions (and my first face-up!)  (Read 1672 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sweatereyes

We are but lovers.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 04, 2012 01:34:46 PM »

I was just wondering if anyone here did any monster high custom stuff.. I have been looking online since starting mine and wow, I can't believe the amount of people who are interested in this too! 

Any who, if anyone is, or knows about BJDs (since the answers would be the same or similar I think)..
Does anyone know where I can find simple patterns for clothes to fit their bodies?  I am having a heck of a time with their ridiculously arched backs and over all skinny frame.
Why does my paint sometimes pool on top when I'm painting her face instead of washing on all nice? (I used water colours for this). 
Has anyone successfully made new limbs for a Monster High doll, instead of buying the kits?  THe doll I have is missing her arms from the elbow down, and I don't want to buy her new arms, although I'm fine with making her a cool doll sans arms.. I've considered making her out of polymer clay, but I don't know how I would go about the attachment part, since it seems to be a little specific. 
Or any other tips, and pointers, especially if you see that I am making some obvious or stupid mistake.. lol.
Anywho, here is my first attempt at a face-up (I don't have a gloss sealer yet, but it's on my purchase list)

I also have given her a spa treatment, her hair was a crazy matted mess when I found her, but now it is big and beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ill weave your names into my ribcage; lock your hearts inside my chest.
Regain the passion I once carried; do away with all the rest.
I tore the sickness from your bodies; smashed its head against the bricks.
I made a castle from its bones that you may always dwell in it.
wwrich
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Elsbeth's Mom

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012 02:58:54 PM »

I don't have all of my links here at work, so I might miss a couple.

Here is a link to a post where she made some clothes for her "Jenny" doll.  That doll seems "close" to Monster High dolls in size.  Some of the patterns linked to might work, or just need minor tweaks.  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=411903.0

This was the best list I ever found of free patterns: http://www.monsterhighdolls.com/forum/topics/patterns-1?id=5907260%3ATopic%3A505602&page=1#comments.  Most of the stuff I found in other places was also in there.

There is a lot of stuff about mods here: http://www.monsterhighdolls.com/forum/categories/doll-care-and-mods/listForCategory

If you find better stuff, please post them here too!

I did use one of the free patterns to make a pair of pants.  Unfortunately, I seem to have gotten the seam allowance wrong, because they were the right length for the girl dolls, but way too big around.  They did fit perfectly around the boy dolls, but were way too short!

I also used one of the dress patterns, but it was basically just a rectangle of stretchy fabric that you sewed a somewhat curved seam up the back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Obsessed with Monster High dolls lately.

In the Chicago area?  Want to come to a great crafty weekend?  Check out http://www.musecon.org/
sweatereyes

We are but lovers.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012 02:05:34 PM »

Thanks! 

I found this tutorial for making doll clothes..  it breaks it down and shows you how to get proper measurements (for any doll) (This has already helped me a bit)
http://www.tatiana-b.com/Blog?tag=master%20class

I've trawled through a bunch of info, but I guess I'll just have to keep trying and learning through trial and error. ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KitsuneClaws
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012 09:53:46 PM »

Good to see another doll person!  I have BJD and MH in my own collection.  They're most of my inspiration, actually.

I can't answer the pattern question, as I usually make my own patterns.  Sorry!

I also can't answer the question about your watercolor paints, but that's because I use acrylics and pastels when I do their faces, not watercolors.  I didn't even know/think that watercolors would be opaque enough for it!  As for finding new arms, I hear that if you EMail Matel about it, they just send you a new doll.  Also, there are a few people who sell arms, thighs, and torsos on Etsy from their own casts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweatereyes

We are but lovers.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012 06:16:55 AM »

What kind of pastels do you use/ where do you buy them?  I know that you can't use oil pastels on them, but I haven't been able to find anything else that are called pastels that seem appropriate.. (oh, did I mention I work at a Michaels?  Why they have no non- oil pastels? sigh sigh).  Also, do you use professional artist grade acrylics?  I attempted with acrylics, but just couldn't get the paint to go on smooth enough (I guess I should buy an acrylic medium to help with that, plus with slowing down drying time.. hm).  Do you put a matte sealer on the face before putting on a new face (because I totally didn't, and didn't think about it until after I did it).. I think this might help also.  Gah!  So many things to learn, and make mistakes with.

Also has anyone had any luck with watercolour pencils?  I've read that people do use them, although with varying degrees of success. 

I will definitely look into e-mailing Mattel.. I mean, I wouldn't complain if they sent me anything.  (lol)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

amigurl55

I already did!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013 10:23:21 AM »

I know I'm a little late on the reply, but this Etsy shop has patterns for monster high.

KristineAnns's shop on #etsy http://etsy.me/YiiFqh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I told you: I only wrote that poem to test my printer!

My etsy shop: http://dollycouture55.etsy.com
ElegantRarity
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013 12:19:33 AM »

Super late reply, sorry.

"Why does my paint sometimes pool on top when I'm painting her face instead of washing on all nice? (I used water colours for this)."

Have you tried adding a tiny drop of washing up liquid to the water? It reduces the surface tension and may help  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tips For Fall Beauty and Fashion
Benefit Babes Take Over NYFW!
How to Get the Megan Fox Makeup Look
Celebrities Without Makeup
New York Fashion Week: Derek Lam Spring 2014 RTW - Runway Show
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...