A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 303,936
Currently Running With Scissors:
644 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Lorax! Tute on making a fur costume...pic obese  (Read 3280 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alohamom2three
I really should be sleeping...

Wow...can't believe I won something!

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2012 12:24:15 PM »

I have my Lorax over on the contest board but here is some more info on how I made it.
The Army moved us and I only got my household goods back on Oct 15 so I finished my Lorax, elf and Ironman in 2 weeks...didn't sleep a lot but loved all the crafting!
Here's my Lorax

We went to a trick or treat at the Zoo the weekend before and little kids followed her around like she was a character at Disney...Parents asked for pics with her...she loved it!

So, this is how I made it...I made the basic shapes of the body out of 1/4 inch foam from cheap exercise mats a store was selling...I think they were like $2.50 and I used 2...you could probably find things like it at a dollar store. (the red foam)

Basic Shapes

Then I wrapped the body in batting

For the head, I built up some of the features using blue foam camping mats and hot glued them to the basic shape.

I then covered it with batting to smooth out the edges and created a pattern for the fur.  I couldn't find orange fur and didn't have enough time to order it online so I bought a throw from Burlington coat factory that had short fur on one side and long on the other and since I didn't have enough of either for the whole costume, I used the short fur on the head. I created the pattern by using the same method as making a slip cover...I draped the fabric and the pin lines became the seam lines.

The eyes were made out of christmas ornaments that you can buy already in half and the surface is made from baby sun shades to make it see through.  I drew on the eye with sharpie to create the detail.  The mustache and eyebrows were made from feather boas glued onto aluminum wire.

I created the pattern for the body the same say as the head. And last touches were orange painted gloves, orange leggings I made and orange fur glued to her shoes.

Altogether not bad and perfectly warm for a cold Halloween Smiley
Here's a pic of all three costumes.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am always doing what I don't know how to do, in order to learn how to do it. -Vincent Van Gogh
BeaG
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012 04:12:10 AM »

Now that's a perfect Lorax!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alohamom2three
I really should be sleeping...

Wow...can't believe I won something!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012 10:42:35 AM »

Thanks to everyone who voted...looks like I tied for second Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am always doing what I don't know how to do, in order to learn how to do it. -Vincent Van Gogh
amelie
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012 09:43:25 AM »

Sorry I'm late to the game, but this is seriously amazing!  Shocked  You did such a phenomenal job, and the facial components/overall expression are spot-on! This rocks  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow that talent to the dark places where it leads." ~Erica Jong
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 11/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 1/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 17/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 12/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 14/28
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2
How to Make Tshirt Rugs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...