A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,389
Currently Running With Scissors:
786 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DIY Washi, or Deco Tape TUTORIAL!  (Read 903 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

goddessgarb
Artful Journeyer

I am not your carpet ride; I am the sky...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 04, 2012 11:59:03 AM »

Okay, so I was seeing some ideas on YouTube about making your own washi tapes, but they were laying them out on craft mats, making cardboard rolls to roll them up on, having the sticky part stick to itself like regular tape, making elaborate nonstick spools to store them on...and I just thought, why not spread out a piece of parchment paper, lay tape out, paint it, then cut the strips apart and roll or fold them up...done!  I tried it today to see if it works...and it does!

What you need:

Parchment paper (waxed might work too, but I don't have any right now to try)
Masking tape
Acrylic paint

You could do this whole thing as a dollar store craft, as I've seen packets of parchment paper there lately.  Anyway...

I laid out a sheet of parchment paper the width of my work surface and stuck tape down to it.  I had two kinds, a narrow blue painter's tape that ended up too sticky to use for that, and a dollar store roll of regular masking tape.  When I took the picture, I had already painted two strips with gold and copper acrylic craft paint...couldn't help myself.  I left an inch or so between strips for messiness and to give room to cut them apart after.

So then I just painted.  Messy, no plan, doing whatever.  You could have your kids sit down and make you some.  Or you could paint or stamp very precise designs on it.  Whatever you want.  I think it would come out awesome either way, because deco tape is just awesome all by itself, ya know?  Here's what I ended up with, just playing:

Then when it was dry, I cut the strips between the tape and rolled up three and folded three, then secured each with a paperclip for storage.  Folding will probably be the way I go for storage, as I store everything in ziploc bags.

The tape comes off the parchment paper REALLY easily, and it sticks to paper as great as it ever did.

Success!  Have fun!  And please let me know what you think, and try it and come back and show what you did!!!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012 02:25:19 PM by goddessgarb » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://theartfuljourney.wordpress.com
Paper and Ephemera Swap Rd. 11 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431439.20
Open to Personal Swapping, esp. mail art, supplies, and ephemera
Smmarrt
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012 06:04:53 PM »

I made some also after watching YouTube last weekend. I didn't think of the parchment paper idea - I was using freezer paper. And I did heat set my tape/paint/embellishments (you have to be careful not to overdo this) and then I rolled it up on wooden spools.

Will try metallic paint next!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.pinterest.com/smmarrt/
Fabric Art Journal Pages Swap ROUND 3 - Working
Altered Puzzle Pieces - again!
3-D Bugs coming soon....
goddessgarb
Artful Journeyer

I am not your carpet ride; I am the sky...

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012 07:56:45 PM »

I used a bunch of mine tonight to do some pages, and tomorrow I'm going to do some more, taking a bit more time with design.  It works great, though, and they're so easy to store. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://theartfuljourney.wordpress.com
Paper and Ephemera Swap Rd. 11 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431439.20
Open to Personal Swapping, esp. mail art, supplies, and ephemera
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn about Horseshoe Pitching Equipment
Learn about Horseshoe Pitching Rules
Horseshoes Throwing Tutorial
Overtime and Rebuttals in Beer Pong
How to Play a Normal Beer Pong Play
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...