A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,113
Currently Running With Scissors:
639 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First Attempt Baby Quilt (pic and word obese, I like to ramble)  (Read 873 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amsie
« on: November 04, 2012 08:52:49 AM »

And now the epic tale of how I sorta made a quilt even though I have never attempted anything like this before:

Let me start this out by saying I am clearly insane at times.

A few months ago I found out that one of the girls at work was having a baby. We're friendly enough at work, and on Facebook, but don't really spend time with each other outside of staff get together. And since I now work in another department we see each other even less. So I made a mental note to buy her a gift eventually and didn't really think about it for a few months.

Skip forward a bit and I find out that she is having a girl. My first thought was that I would have to go and buy her something really girly and pink, but then while I was at the fabric store I came across a pattern for a butterfly shaped rag quilt. Perfect I thought! And I promptly bought the pattern.

And then I forgot about it.

A few weeks later (again) I was at fabricville and there were bolts of printed flannel out front for $2 a metre. I found a really cute polka dot fabric which I bought only because it was cute. I bought a few metres, brought it home and then remembered the quilt pattern I had bought. I ran out, got coordinating pink and purple fabric, and decided that this was it! This weekend I was going to make the quilt!

Skip forward another two weeks.

I still haven't touched the fabric, and I've decided that I don't like the butterfly anymore. I think my logic was that it had too many curved lines. I don't know.

So at this point I find my way to google and after much searching, I decided on making a rag quilt. Then I came to the conclusion that it needed more than 3 fabrics in order to make an interesting pattern. Thankfully after digging through my stash I found some brown and blue flannel that tied in fairly well.

After messing around in paint, and some fairly quick math I came up with what I decided was a workable pattern. 7x10 blocks all 5 inches square. Brilliant. Except for the part where I didn't have enough fabric in some colours and had to mess around with my pattern to make everything work.

But eventually I prevailed and managed to cut out all the blocks, and middle squares while watching countless episodes of Downton Abbey.

Enter yet another week long break. (I live to procrastinate)

At this point I am informed that we are having a staff baby shower and it will be in three weeks. Thinking that perhaps I should get around to actually starting this quilt I started sewing together a few rows. And then I realized something about rag quilts. With the edges the way they are they look messy (to me anyways) while you are sewing them. It drove me crazy. And my mother and my sister were fairly doubtful about how it would turn out. Their doubts infected me I swear.

So I took another week long break.

Meanwhile I have actually gone out and bought a gift in case I don't finish whatever mess I am currently in the midst of.

Finally with one week to go until the baby shower I decided to stop messing around and make a "proper" quilt with backing and batting and pretty pink satin binding. So I start sewing. Every night after work. And by Friday of that week I have 6 out of ten rows. The baby shower is on Sunday.

So basically (and I'm going to wrap this up, because any one who is actually reading this and not skipping forward for pics is probably sick of listening to me babble) I spent all night Friday and all day Saturday working on this.

In the interest of saving time I used a cream flannel throw for the middle and stitched it to the finished quilt top. I then cut backing fabric to fit, and sewed all around the edges. I used the pillowcase method (I think) to turn the quilt rightside out and then hand stitched the opening closed. I also added a puffy heart applique to one corner for some added interest. I then added some quick stitches in the middle to keep the backing fabric from shifting around too much.

So in the end, even though it is not a "proper" quilt, and it was a bit of a rush job, I'm pretty pleased with it. Hopefully the recipient will be as well.

And now for the good part! PICTURES:

Layout on the floor, notice how it has seven rows, but the finished quilt has eight! How did I do it? I don't really know.

Front and back fabrics:

The not so helpful helper:

Finished quilt, washed and dried but not ironed. Yes I ironed it. Is that not normal?

Close up of my puffy heart applique:

And another pic of the backing fabric, cause I thought it was too cute:

And finally all folded up and ready to go:

Now the baby shower is in an hour, so I should probably go get ready!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012 09:24:01 AM by amsie » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Laughing Cat
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012 11:03:13 AM »

Lovely quilt, and lovely story! I think all of us are bitten by the procrastination bug at one point or another; what matters is that you got it done, and done beautifully. That will be one happy momma-to-be!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012 11:57:39 AM »

Too cute! It turned out great. I love that polka dot fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 3/19

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012 02:42:51 PM »

I have a couple of non helpers. Turned out great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
bethimusprime

I'm officially whelmed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012 06:55:28 AM »

hahaha that ssssooooo sounds like me. "Oh I'll make something cute and homemade!" and then I'm lucky if I finish it before the event. The quilt is very cute though, well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Martian: I feel so silly. Who knew a Martian could be vulnerable to a human virus?
Robin: Uh... H.G. Wells?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Why Face Oils Benefit Any Skin Type
How to Create a Runway-Inspired Blue-Black Eye Makeup Look
How to Create the Brown Eye Makeup Look
How to Create a Purple Smokey Eye
How to Create the Mulberry Makeup Look
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...