A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,547
Currently Running With Scissors:
715 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Little Etsy Performance Anxiety!  (Read 701 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JuBee82
« on: November 03, 2012 07:46:34 PM »

Soooo....my boyfriend got a position working from home, and he is encouraging me to sell some of my crafts on Etsy (greatest...boyfrien d....ever!), but I am super nervous.  I realize that it's not that big of a deal.  If I put some of my stuff up for sale, someone will either buy it or it will collect dust.  It's just a scary thing to think about taking what I love to do as a hobby, and enjoy so very much, and put it out into the cold, lonely internet world.  What if my stuff just sucks to most people?  It's not about the money, because I am doing it just for a bit of extra cash, not an income.  I guess I have a bit of that old high school-aged fear of rejection or something, LOL!  How did you all get the nerve to do it?  Does it take a while before people start noticing your stuff?  Any advice for someone who is "the new kid in Etsy-town"?  Heck, even if nothing else, it felt kind of nice to get some of these fears out of my system on here!  Smiley  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Squiver
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012 11:40:38 PM »

There's really nothing to worry about. As you said, if your stuff doesn't sell it's no skin off your back. Maybe take a look at your tags to make sure they're pertinent, and look at your little statistics page to see how people are getting to your page.

I think the biggest thing I ever worry about is missing an order, or shipping it in poor packaging, or shipping it late.

Remember that if your stuff isn't selling, it doesn't necessarily mean your products are undesirable; there's a lot of factors that go into whether or not your products are selling, so don't ever let sales effect your self confidence in your artistic abilities.

Once your shop is up its just a matter of letting it sit while you continue to make the crafts you love.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012 09:23:46 AM »

Most of the successful sellers have a cohesive product line, fantastic photos, web- and search-friendly descriptions and tags, well-made products, but they also promote their rear ends off. You might not want to be the next top seller (or maybe you do, but you're afraid to say so), but you still have to copy the success model - even if you just want to make pocket change. Etsy's a big, big place, full of people who are hoping for sales, then crash and burn within months because they can't put the real work into it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

KitsuneClaws
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012 09:01:44 PM »

I've only made one sale on Etsy, so far, and it's hard not to find that discouraging.  I know that I just have to stick it out for a while and advertise more, and I think that's all you'll have to do, too.  It does take time to find customers, and it takes a little work, but hopefully the both of us will get off the ground quickly!  Good luck, and just jump right in!  The water's fine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Change Eye Color in Photoshop Cs4
How to Make an Easy Quick Wallpaper in Photoshop Cs4
How to Change Colors on Objects in Photoshop Cs4
How to Make a Cool Custom Myspace Layout in Photoshop Cs4 Part 1/5
How to Make a Cool Custom Myspace Layout in Photoshop Cs4 Part 2/5
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...