A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
352 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ice Cream Truck Costume with music (pic obese)  (Read 1302 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

medic2230
« on: November 03, 2012 07:41:32 PM »

This year my little man decided he wanted to be an Ice Cream Truck. I've made the last two of his costumes for Halloween so it was just a no brainer where his costume would come from this year. I started out with a piece of paper and drew the basic design. I actually forgot to take a pic before I started cutting it out...oops. This is with pattern cut out with the first layer of heavy weigh sew in stabilizer.

Well then began the work in PE Design to get all the embroidery programming done.

The menu board.

I'll save everyone all the screen shots....kinda boring. lol

I also found a logo online and modified it after digitizing it into PE Design to make a personal logo for Jake's Ice Cream Company. Then the embroidering began. It took about 8 hours just to embroider everything. The logo alone was right at 2 hours by itself and there were 3 on the costume.

Action pic....

Of course an ice cream truck wouldn't be complete without having SpongeBob ice cream in it.

Looking back now if I make anything else like this I won't make the front to top to back in one piece. I think it would have squared the corners off a little better and been a lot easier to sew together. (That was the last pic with the machine in it.)

So I ended up with a side of a truck with embroidery on it. Smiley

A little more work and I had something that looked a little more like it should be looking.

I also had a logo on the rear of the truck.

And the sides done. With a drivers window sewn on and a rear serving window having black felt on single sided fusible interfacing and sewn on. I've been really surprised that my sewing machine is holding up to all these thick costumes. The costume at this point is stiffened with 1 layer of sew in heavy weight interfacing and one layer of heavy weight double sided fusible interfacing with two layers of felt.

Ok it's getting a little closer to being together. At this point I have broken 1 sewing machine needle and 8 needles on the serger. (I have also learned to just buy interfacing by the roll cause, I can manage to have to redo more stuff than anyone. Mainly cause I'm picky about how it looks. lol)

I added wheels, menu, and the grill. Dressed up a few things and then added a set of $5 ipod speakers and a mp3 player. I found someone on youtube that had videoed an ice cream truck driving by and ripped the sound off the video for everyone to d/l and put it on the mp3 player. I had sound!

I included a pocket to hold the mp3 player in the back half of the costume.

I didn't mention it yet but as I was going along I was trying to figure out how I was going to keep the costume from flipping front to back while he was wearing it. Then I remembered the SpongeBob costume I made him a few years ago. If I added a small box inside like I made SpongeBob it would work. And of course here is SpongeBob as an example. He was my first costume I ever made and taught myself how to sew while making it. He's held up pretty good for use for two halloween's and he is 4 yrs old now. lol I've learned a lot since then...

I worked on this costume till 5 minutes before he went trick or treating. The last twenty minutes consisted of making this. The ice cream scoop was a left over from last years Dunkin Donuts Munchkin costume that I made way too many of. (There's a writeup for it too on here). Then I grabbed the small rotary cutter and went to town on some pink felt. When you have 20 minutes to make a hat it doesn't really come out to stetson quality. lol

Well enough of all this build crap....let's see how it turned out.....

As you can see I added the headlights and tail lights too that I forgot to mention earlier. (I just realized I forgot to mention them) Jake loved his costume and Dad is glad to share some of his candy we collected trick or treating. It was funny watching people's faces when they realized the costume was playing the ice cream truck song. I hope you enjoyed my build and if you made it this far here's the link to the Youtube video of it playing music.

http://youtu.be/lACYWWwxo2Y

Thanks for looking and come back next year to see what I come up with then. I would appreciate any votes in the DIY Costume challenge. (I'd really like a nice sewing machine HaHa!)

Murphy
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012 02:38:34 PM by medic2230 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
cinnamon teal
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012 12:21:07 PM »

Super cute!!! He looks adorable! I bet he had a ton of fun running around in it.

ps. if you put a photo of the completed costume up at the top, you'll get a lot more views.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

medic2230
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012 02:41:49 PM »

Thank You!!! He had a blast in the costume. I took your suggestion and added a pic of him in it at the top of the post.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Oil Painting For Beginners
Behind The Scenes At Red Bull House Of Art In Detroit
Andy Warhol Drawing Bought For $5 Could Fetch Nearly $2 Million
Service Dog Inspires Artist to Paint With Wheelchair
Local Artist Competition Energizes Texas Art Scene
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...