A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,574
Currently Running With Scissors:
740 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Buzz Lightyear and Squeaky Alien  (Read 1823 times)
Tags for this thread: halloween_costume , craft_challenge_44_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TrickyMcVomit
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Uniclown.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 01, 2012 04:13:55 PM »

I started conjuring up Buzz Lightyear in August. I researched a TON of home made Buzz costumes, female versions and full armor replicas. Even though I planned so much, it came out way different than I expected...and everything is hand sewn, hand painted and hot glued (except the corset and the skirt)

Craftser - http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=394211.0
Coolest Homemade Costumes - http://www.coolest-homemade-costumes.com/buzz-lightyear-costume.html
RPF (Where I got the decal templates)http://www.therpf.com/f24/buzz-lightyear-costume-ideas-89095/

I also watched the movie, I even used photoshop and took a still frame of Buzz and made the exact shape into the chest plate but we'll get to that later...

Alright then...where to begin....

I have the top over a black leather corset. The top is made of a sweatshirt, the sleeves were cut off and turned into leg warmers (The wrist cuff is at my knee, I have white leggings on too) and a turtleneck was sewn underneath. The gauntlets were bought but I cut the fingers off and attached a laser to my right wrist (you can see it peeking)

All "decals" were hand painted. The chest plate is made of a thin foam yoga mat. I made a pattern directly from a still of Buzz in Toy Story. I cut out 3 identical pieces and layered them with hot glue. Everything is covered in fleece. The buttons are wood, my laser button is beer bottle caps....
The wings.
If I couldn't get these wings, I wasn't going to bother being Buzz.
http://collider.com/toy-story-3-at-toy-fair-take-a-look-at-the-toys-disney-pixar-will-sell-you-later-this-year/16677/toy-story-3-buzz-lightyear-deluxe-action-wing-pack/ They open and close with the push of a button, they light up and they talk.
They are also extremely expensive. I was lucky enough to find a pair on Craigslist for dirt cheap. I was so excited...until the voice mechanism immediately gave out.

I had to rerig it anyways because the chest plate was child size, but at that point I also had to take the whole thing apart. Turns out I just had to shorted the speaker wire because it was shredded inside. I soldered for the first time! I used soldering paste, but I did good! here is a back shot of the wiring all electrical taped. The speaker was tucked into the green part but I took it out to show it off to you guys.

I made new straps from purple ribbon and covered that halfway in green fleece. The button to open the wings was originally on the chest but I had to move it to my shoulder because it wouldn't reach. I mean it was built for a child so...

Here is a closeup shot of my Pizza Planet Alien. I patterned it after a winter hat he wears and hand sewed it. The eyes are made of cat toys and hot glue. The antennae is glued to a headband which the hat hides, so that it will stand straight up.
I painted the Pizza Planet logo on this shirt which houses a squeaker. He isn't as high tech as Buzz, but a simple piece to a dog toy really made it that much more special.

...Oh, I almost forgot! I was going to make my gloves but they were too bulky and I didn't want to waste this painting, so I made it into a small purse =0)

I slaved over this buzz Lightyear costume...but the fun I had in it was incredibly worth it. People who were already in awe that I made them myself nearly exploded when my wings came out by themselves.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012 06:35:37 AM »

AMAZING!! Love the alien hat and all the details on your buzz. Just awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TrickyMcVomit

Uniclown.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012 04:03:49 PM »

Thank you! I'm so lucky that my boyfriend let's me have full creative control when it comes to Halloween costumes =0)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Units, Increments and Grids Preferences
Adobe InDesign CS2 - General, Type and Advanced Type Preferences
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Introducing Document Preferences
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Exporting an InDesign File as a PDF
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Changing Display Quality and Multiple Text Layers
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...