A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,395
Currently Running With Scissors:
827 Guests and 40 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Homemade Liqueurs  (Read 1100 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

loveforart
« on: November 09, 2012 05:17:39 PM »

My sister makes an after dinner drink called nuts and berries and it is DELICIOUS! It is almond milk, frangelico hazelnut liqueur, amaretto and chambord. The problem? She said she spent close to $100 on all three bottles. But once you actually have them they will last a while because you don't really need much of each, depending on how you like it.

(left to right: Amaretto, Chambord, Frangelico)

I spent around $35 on the ingredients to make all three. That is so much better than $100! This will be part of her Christmas basket this year and it makes enough that it will go into some others also. I still have to find some cute jars to put them though.

Frangelico

1 C sugar
1/2 C water
2 C vodka
1 C brandy
1 1/2 C hazelnut syrup (I used hazelnut coffee creamer and it turned out fine)
2 tsp. vanilla extract

Bring water to a boil and add sugar. Boil slowly stirring constantly until the liquid is clear. Remove and allow to cool to warm. Pour in vodka, brandy, hazelnut and vanilla.

Tips:

You can use whiskey in place of brandy.
Can be used immediatly but is best if it is allowed to rest in a dark cool place for 2 months.
If you would rather use real hazelnuts, you can steep 1 pound of them in the vodka for 2 weeks, shaking every day. Then strain and use in place of the hazelnut syrup.

Amaretto

1 C water
1 C white sugar
1/2 C brown sugar
2 C vodka
2 Tbsp. almond extract
2 tsp. vanilla extract

Combine both sugars and water in a sauce pan over medium heat. Heat until it is boiling and the sugars are dissolved (remember to stir once in a while). Remove pan and let cool for 10 minutes. Stir in vodka, almond extract and vanilla extract. Pour into a sealed bottle.

Chambord

3 C sugar
1 C water
12 oz fresh raspberries
3 C vodka

Heat sugar and water together until all sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and let it completly cool. Chop rasperries into small pieces.

(it would have been so much easier if I had a food processor!) When the sugar and water is completly cool, add the rasperries and then the vodka. Put into a jar with a secure lid. Let it rest for 4 weeks, shaking every 3 days. After 4 weeks strain the mixture with a cheesecloth. 

I ended up using the vodka bottle I had bought since that was the only thing big enough to fit all of it and I didn't want to split the raspberries fearing that one jar would be stronger than another.

Tips:

You can use other types of fruit to do this such a plums, strawberries, cranberries (which is what I think I am going to try next). This can also be stored up to a year at room temperature or in the fridge.

There are a few other types of infused vodkas I want to try. I have a friend who is turning 21 this December so what a perfect time to try!

I hope you enjoy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012 03:38:50 AM »

These would make great Christmas presents!  Thanks for sharing your recipes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012 10:25:18 AM »

I used to make my own Kahlua and it made a ton. I had some fancy decanters, so it worked out fine. I appreciate your recipes as these are great gifts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
tiffi_333
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012 11:18:51 AM »

My friends dad made his own baileys Irish cream and it turned out really good...i though it was better than the stuff you buy (though most homemade things are). Your recipes  look like such a good gift for christmas, Im sure you sister will like it more than the stuff she buys.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
An Effective Dandruff Shampoo
How To Rock The Fishtail Braid Hairstyle
Glossy and Shiny Hair in 4 Steps
Amoy Pitters of Amoy Couture: VIBE VIXEN Salon Takeover
How to Create Marilyn Monroe-Inspired Hollywood Hair
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...