I crocheted myself a Marge Simpson costume - both the hat and dress. I paired them with a string of red beads and my red flats to complete the look. I was really pleased with the outcome!
I used a blue Red Heart yarn and a crocodile stitch to crochet my Marge hair hat. I liked how the stitch actually had a lot of texture to look like hair. This yarn also held the shape of the hat surprisingly well - a tight stitch helped too!
For the dress, I used a single chain (sc) stitch for the upper half and a double chain (dc) stitch for the skirt. I didn't have a pattern, so it was all free-formed to fit my body. I did a lot of measuring and trying-on for this part. I made the top half unconnected on the back to allow it to be laced up to make it more fitted (and easier to get in and out of!) I simply crocheted a really long chain to use as the lace. For the dress, I used a cotton yarn in the color Grass - it was the brighest green I could find!
Front of dress:
Back of dress (with lace up):
I also hand sewed a lining into the bottom skirt part of the dress, to make sure there wasn't any see-through parts between the stitches.
I also made a Marge doll amigurumi for fun (my own pattern).
My husband decided to join in my costume fun, and he dressed up as Homer. We got him a bald cap, used some pipe cleaners for Homer's hair, painted his face yellow, and paired that with jeans and a white button down shirt stuffed with socks.
Here's our "family" photo, complete with our dogs as Bart & Lisa - note their clothes (red dress for Lisa, blue shirt for Bart).
We dressed up to hand out candy this year and the kids (and parents) really enjoyed our costumes!