A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,174
Currently Running With Scissors:
635 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ghostbusters! (Lots o' pics)  (Read 882 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tatterhood

I have a wooden spoon!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 02, 2012 12:02:17 PM »

After slaving over a bunch of costumes earlier in the year, I wanted to do something easy and comfortable for Halloween (Catwoman in a sweater) but...I also wanted my husband to have an awesome outfit. So we decided to combine our skills and go as everybody's favorite Ghostbuster couple, (bearded) Venkman and Zuul! We weren't going for screen accuracy (there wasn't time and really, I was not in the mood to try and match every detail) but I think it works!

I bought a used flight suit off of ebay and sanded down the zippers (to reveal the brass underneath). I got the patches and three "name tags" from an ebay store. The white pilot pistol belt was from amazon and so were the rubber gloves. The gloves had text on them but that was removed easily with some rubbing alcohol. My wig was a Posie Wig from ebay. And I (eventually) found the fabric for my dress - sheerish orange organza and gold taffeta. I wanted silk and lam but I couldn't find any close to the right colour!!! So my Zuul dress isn't as drapey as I would like it.

The Ghostbuster uniform belts are grey, so I decided to dye the canvass belt. I hate dying stuff. The last thing I "dyed" was my Ryuk wig - which was a horrible experience - and before that...I can't remember, probably because it was so traumatic. Much to my surprise, it worked!

You can find very detailed schematics for the proton pack online. I took one look at them...and decided, no screen accuracy this year! I decided to do one that would look "good enough." We really didn't want to buy anything to make the pack, so I made the entire thing out of cardboard and paper, with a few lids and spools added on. We did have to buy spray paint, and some tubing. It's amazing how spray paint makes everything better!

My husband made the gun, and wired up lights and a speaker to both the gun and proton pack. Again, the lights aren't in the correct place/the right colour, but at this point we were using what supplies we already had and what looked cool. There were blinking lights, triggered lights, and he had a speaker setup to play sound effects and songs from the movie.

I also ordered grey elbow pads and a yellow leg hose, but they didn't arrive until the day after the party (we'll use them next year!). We went to a party and everybody loved our costumes. And as a bonus, someone was dressed as Stay Puft. Very fitting. And yes, my husband is more of a (bearded) Spengler than a Venkman - I ordered three name tags and put velcro on the backs of them, so he can change his character depending on his mood.

My dress wasn't based on any pattern - I took a big tshirt and around that drafted a batwing dress. Maybe I'll try tackling it again next year with the 'right' fabric and some draping.

Thanks for looking!
There is no Tatterhood, only Zuul!

« Last Edit: November 02, 2012 12:03:07 PM by Tatterhood » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Portfolio & Blog
Games that I make for iPhone & iPad!
And I wasn't kidding about that spoon!
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012 12:20:52 PM »

This is so awesome. I love love love it! The pack came out great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gozer
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

If only Mogwai were real... at least we have Bigfoot

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012 12:23:13 PM »

No bias here but I love it! Fantastic pick for a couples costume and it looks great! Well done!
 Love the before and after of the proton pack.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012 12:26:27 PM by gozer » THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012 02:00:12 PM »

THIS. IS. AWESOME!!!  I love everything about it!  And I really love how you two worked together to pull it all off!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Narine Nikogosian Offers Simple Solutions for Tired Eyes
Stephanie McClellan and Beth Hamilton Reveal Their Most Noticeable Trait
Nene Leakes Talks About Never Make the Same Mistake Twice
Philippa Gregory on The Plantagenets
Phillipa Gregory Talks About The Boleyn Inheritance Part 2
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...