A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,634
Currently Running With Scissors:
491 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Oatmeal cookies using packets of instant Oatmeal  (Read 4897 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

margiej
« on: November 02, 2012 10:14:37 AM »

I wonder if anyone can suggest what I need to add to just 1 or 2 packets of instant oatmeal to make a quick cookie?  I just want a quick, cheap, low-calorie treat that wont make of lot of cookies at once to blow my diet with.  Would I have to use an egg, flour, and sugar? How much?  I am a person who if I bake 6 cookies I'll eat 6, if I bake 18 I'll keep on until every one is gone, so I need a very small, controlled amount to not keep tempting me!!  The oatmeal has good stuff like raisins, nuts and apples already in it, and I would like to use sweetner or very little sugar.  I really need this during the coming holiday season!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Too bad I don't hear voices, I would enjoy the company
WWW.PINTEREST.COM/MARGARETCJOY
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012 09:55:37 AM »

Um, got this off the internet machine. I think it's too much butter, and those packets already have gobs of sugar, don't they - probably salt, too (haven't had one in about 20 years):

1 packet - Quaker Instant Oatmeal
1 Tablespoons - Butter (if you don't mind transfats, this is coincidentally equal to one packet  of KFC's "Buttery" spead)
2 Teaspoons - Sugar (4 sugar cubes or two sugar packets from the local coffee house)
2 Teaspoons - Egg (beaten) What?!?!? You don't have eggs? I knew that. Use 1 Tablespoon of Mayo,Applesauce or smashed banana would work too if you have them handy.
3 Tablespoons - Flour
A tiny pinch of baking soda and another of salt.

Makes one cookie. Probably bake at 300 for 12 mins, just a guess since it wasn't included.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

astrangeone
The Paper Alchemist

Fueled by the scent of rubber shavings....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012 07:24:40 AM »

Some feedback.  Just made a double recipe using a bit of flour, and vanilla sugar for flavouring.

It is indeed sweeter than candy.  The next time I make these, they will involve a lot less sugar and use applesauce in place of egg.  I may add a few additions of dried fruit.

They are quick to make - I had baked them in 14 minutes - I like crispy cookies, but these were crispy on the outside and a little soft in the middle.  They don't spread much.

They are gut-bombs.  This recipe made 4 medium cookies, about 1/2 inch tall.  (I ate 3 of them, and they are still sitting in my tummy now.)  I'd probably spread them out thinner next time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I handcarve stamps, knit and have organic catnip.

Got shopping?:  http://www.shophandmade.com/Store/Madstamps

Personal Swapping...activate d!

Looking for:  ATCs, some dry non-sanded grout mix

Got a 3DS?  I can clear save data from your games!  (Including RE Mercs 3D.)
margiej
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012 04:24:41 PM »

i haven't had a chance to make any yet but I think this will work great!  I eat oatmeal every morning, with some added cinnamon in addition to the apple, walnuts and raisins plus some sweetner.  One packet is 170 calories,  I melt about a tsp on margarine on the top so that is what less than 60 calories, so even with a tablespoon of flour added it shouldn't be too many calories, right?  I'm not good at math, but I think I'd like my calories in a sweet cookie (sweetner)  This should be a great treat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012 05:19:21 AM »

Oh, duh, I wrote 300 degrees above, but it should be 350. It's always 350!

You can add a bit more baking soda to help the spread, or maybe it needs a tad more liquid since you added flour.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

margiej
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012 12:33:58 PM »

Roll Eyes
Ok, here goes nothin'  I am baking cookies right now, so dont know what I'll end up with but hoping they will be good and not a waste of 2 packets of oatmeal and one of sugar/fat free cocoa.  Used 3 1/2 heaping spoonsful of flour, 2 of sugar, 1 egg white, bit of allspice, vanilla, some" (?) margarine and  Crisco. some baking powder, and milk, which I normally dont ever have.  Made 8 cookies, made them pretty wet so they will be soft I know
THIS ROCKS   Logged

margiej
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012 12:50:19 PM »

Not too bad.  Of course I've had better, but I was trying to be careful of calories, so didn't really make them sweet enuf nor use enough margarine/Crisco.  So really had a bit more margrine than I would use on my morning oatmeal, and the calories from the flour and for me the sugar ones, so how does that add up?  This recipe could use some tweeking maybe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Ramen Noodles with Peanut Butter
How to Make Plum Wine Jelly
How to Make a Chinese Chicken Meal in a Crock Pot
Affordable Bo Ssam Recipe
Weeknight Beef Stir Fry Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...