A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,611
Currently Running With Scissors:
627 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Argon Tano, Jedi, little brother to Ahsoka Tano  (Read 2814 times)
Tags for this thread: costume , jedi , halloween_costume , craft_challenge_44_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tankrgrl
TankrGrl

Not a mess, controlled chaos

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 02, 2012 12:19:25 AM »

This is my son. Every year since he was 2 and my daughter was 5 I have made their costumes. My son this year wanted to be a Togruta Jedi. So, being a can-do girl, I jumped in with NO idea on how I was going to create the Togruta head for his costume. I did seek out the advice of jennieingram because she is much more skilled with costumes. She gave me some great advice and I was going to order fosshape and make this awesome headpiece. The best laid plans...living in Alaska and not being able to find anyone who sells fosshape and learning that it would cost me twice as much for shipping, I opted to go another route.

I used several yards of muslin and paper to create a pattern for basically a really puffy hat for his head. No matter what I tried, it kept falling off! I took another piece of Jennie's advice and built the headpiece on an old hat my husband had. (Well, it wasn't old, but it was sitting unused in the garage until I cut the bill off of it, then all of a sudden it was a treasured item)

Anyway, I put together the top two horns/montrals and the front lekku, then stuffed them and set them aside. I made the back lekku and stuffed it, then sewed it by hand to the hat, followed by handsewing the front piece. I left a gap to add more stuffing and got the shape right then closed the gap. It worked well, but it would slide off his head just a little because he is a 6 yr old boy- and he has to swing lightsabers and use his taekwondo skills while in costume! I added a small blue band in the front that keeps his headpiece on no matter what move he is doing. I painted it with fabric paint, made the teeth from thick fun foam and paint, then made the silka beads and hand sewed them on.

I made his inner and outer tunic from jersey knit (not Jedi authentic, but we live in AK and trick or treat when it is 20 degrees out and wear thermals under our costumes) as well as his tabard and obi. The belt is leather, it ties in the back and has a band on the back to cover the ties. His lightsaber I made from $19 of plumbing parts from the hardware store. His pants are just kids dockers and the boots are covered with strips of jersey fabric to hide the woodland camo pattern. He decided through this process that he wanted to be Ahsoka tano's little brother, so we scoured the internet looking for good Togruta names and chose Argon Tano. He's a Jedi Padawan and he really loved Halloween this year!

The back of his headpiece

Thanks for looking!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Willing to swap/trade/pay for Harry Potter fabric to make a quilt for my daughter, just send a PM Smiley

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012 05:44:53 AM »

Wow, this is amazing!  You did a great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
bunny1kenobi

Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012 05:56:24 AM »

Amazing!  You did a great job for him, and he's obviously in love with his costume!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012 06:37:03 AM »

So. Incredibly. Awesome. Looks like he walked right out of the show. Excellent!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cackle
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Pottery, Ceramics, Polymer Clay Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Whenever I close my eyes the lights go on.. Lummis

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012 09:06:49 AM »

All the details on this costume are wonderful. Looking at him takes me back to the movie. You are a great mom to make such great memories for your kidlets!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tankrgrl
TankrGrl

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012 06:17:53 PM »

Thank you for the lovely comments! Our favorite part of halloween is making a costume they can wear all year long! he still has his original Jedi robe from when he was 3 lol, he wears it even though it is way too small now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Willing to swap/trade/pay for Harry Potter fabric to make a quilt for my daughter, just send a PM Smiley

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012 10:47:13 AM »

This came out so well tankrgrl!!!  Absolutely STUNNING!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Spring Semester

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
lunamadre
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012 03:19:04 PM »

Holy cow, I think I would have no idea how to begin to tackle making a headpiece like that. To have it look that good AND stay on/fit, is very impressive. I think I would have asked my kid to be something else. LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tankrgrl
TankrGrl

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012 12:34:52 AM »

Thank you for your advice jennieingram! There was so much trial and error involved that by the time it was close to being done, there was no way it wasn't going to work lol!  Lunamadre there were a few times I said buddy you might just be a human Jedi! He'd just nod and tell me you'll get it mommy you always do! Ha! I think I was conned Smiley kid learns early, flattery for the win!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SinDoll
Adam West

Wednesday grew up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012 03:46:43 AM »

this is SO rad!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Prepare Yakitori
How to Cook Yum Nuea
How to Cook Pad Thai Jay
How to Serve Barbecued Korean Chicken
How to Make Coriander Chutney and Cucumber Raita Condiments
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...