A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,562
Currently Running With Scissors:
405 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Plaid Hooded Fall Jacket  (Read 1342 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BenaeQuee
Sewing Machine

View Profile WWW
« on: November 01, 2012 07:32:04 PM »

Since we had Hurricane Sandy rip through the east coast and I was stuck home, I made a coat!  I was luck to have power and internet, but I was stuck in Brooklyn.  My job has no power right now and my train line isn't running due to flooded tunnels.

The fabric was salvaged from the soon to be trash of a fabric designer.  It was 3 yards and *just* enough.  I would have preferred to have it a few inches longer, but you have to make do with what you have sometimes.  I tried to match the pattern as best I could considering I had to piece together some of it. 

The lining was the only thing bought for this jacket and cost all of $10 in garment district.  It was sold as a poly print, but it feels like silk and held up to a super hot iron without melting.  It might be rayon.  There was only 2 yards of this, but because I didn't have to really worry about the pattern, it was enough.  I love the pattern on it so much, it's just a basic white and black.  The pattern was small enough that it doesn't really fight with the large plaid print.  I wasn't too sure at first, but seeing them together sealed the deal.  I didn't want a plain lining, I like to keep things interesting.

The body of the coat was made using Vogue 8346 view A.  I omitted the upper collar portion and drafted a hood pattern instead.  The hood was attached in the same manner that the upper collar would have originally been.

I also lengthened the sleeves, because these patterns always have shorter sleeves on me (long arms).  The pockets were also made a little wider and deeper.  When it's cold, I like my whole hand and wrist to stay toasty warm.

I added a belt I already had in my stash and I love how it finished the look.

This was taken with my actual camera.

This was taken with my camera phone.  I didn't get one with the good camera because the wind picked up and kept blowing the hood off.

Back of the Jacket... I LOVE the hood so much.

Showing the coat open with the lining.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop for geek chic goodies!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BenaeQuee
lidehtium
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012 07:45:33 PM »

This is beautiful! Maybe this will actually inspire me to work on my coat that I've been planning for ages..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheDaytimeHeroes
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012 08:39:19 PM »

Love your choice for the lining - I usually do the same with garments and purses. Pick the loudest, craziest, most interesting lining possible.

The coat turned out lovely, fits you perfectly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This message will self-destruct.

Originals, prints and feather paintings!
My Etsy shop--> http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheDaytimeHeroes?ref=si_shop
Deviantart --> http://kodriak.deviantart.com/

~<3
elyxandra
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012 09:18:36 PM »

I adore this coat!
It looks comfy and stylish and the hood makes it perfect.

I'm so impressed that you modified an existing pattern! I looked up the pattern online, and yours is even better!

I pinned it to my style board - not sure if there's specific etiquette for doing this.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012 09:22:12 PM by elyxandra » THIS ROCKS   Logged

BenaeQuee
Sewing Machine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012 05:33:05 PM »

Thanks!  I wish I had taken pictures along the way, but I was so into what I was doing, I forgot this time.  The hood was really easy, think of it as an extended collar... that flips up... and looks like a hood lol.  The measurement and shape of the edge part of the hood that connected to the coat matched what the edge of the collar would have looked like, so attaching it was no different.  
The only thing was that I sewed the hood lining and outer fabric together first to make the hood complete.  I also treated the seam on the edge of the hood differently.  I left a gap of outer fabric showing on the inside to give a more finished look.  I did that by making the lining about an inch shorter than the outer fabric.  I then ironed the edge of the outer hood with a crisp one inch seam all the way down.  The lining was then sewn edge to edge and flipped and pressed.  I don't know that I described that all too well, I may have to take some scraps and take pictures of what I mean when I get some time.
This is my 3rd coat I've made and I love making them, they get so much use compared to the many dresses I've made and only worn once or twice lol.
I'll post my other coat and cape as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop for geek chic goodies!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BenaeQuee
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Perfect Pancakes
How to Make Crispy French Toast
How to Make a Basic Pie Crust
How to Grill a Perfect Burger
How to Make Home-Style Meatloaf
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...