A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 298,757
Currently Running With Scissors:
645 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Demon (with hooves)  (Read 3749 times)
Tags for this thread: halloween_costume , craft_challenge_44_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ahma
« on: November 01, 2012 05:14:32 PM »

Alright..so..hello! This is my second time making a pair of these kind of boots, which I think were much improved upon since the last time. I made just about everything in the costume except the cheapo satiny corset and the leggings.

Horns are carved expanding foam over armature + sculpting and epoxy then paint...they are mounted to a partial wig for the mane/mohawk look and to make them easy to attach (relatively speaking) to my head..the whole thing is pretty light weight.

The bra was a kind of dollar store halloween mace made of skulls that I split into two halves, then carved and used heat to form gently around a bra of mine for shape.

The tail is stuffed, and has little spikes in it from a tooth looking necklace (also dollar store)

The staff, doubles as awesome accessory and a walking aid, like a security blanket. I could walk, but felt much better with it in my hand. its just a couple dowels basically cemented together (it was last minute and I couldn't find a 6+ foot dowel anywhere) wrapped in a few places with fake leather, then again with some cotton twine. Then I aged it up with paint, and bloody hand prints. Oh yes and of course a repainted Styrofoam skull on the end there.

There are all sorts of skulls hanging everywhere, all of which I repainted after buying them (and some did some sculpting or other modifications), including a kind of skull codpiece/belt buckle which I really dig, and a 'purse' (that is hanging just out of view in every picture) I made out of a hollow skull with a kind of piggy bank slot cut into the top just to stuff my phone and money into.

I've got some basic satiny gloves with long scary fingernails glued on. I kind of filled in the backs with lightweight clay so they were more talon than fake fingernail, but its hard to tell in the pictures.

Hooves...are basically a high heel boot with the heel cut off, then fabricated with wood and fiberglass, epoxy, and high quality adhesives. they are pretty heavy, and while are not really made for jogging, are pretty comfortable all things considered. My legs were fine after wearing to 4 different events, though I took sitting breaks in between dancing, just a bit of soreness in the ball of my foot after wearing from 8pm-3am but a nice Epsom salt bath took care of that pretty well, and to be fair I can't abide by regular high heels either.

I was also wearing fangs (which I did not make) but I DID make the fake blood, which was delicious. Cocoa + corn syrup + red food coloring = best most tasty blood ever!

Thanks so much for looking!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
leather and lace

I'm too 'XC' for my spikes!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012 05:24:43 PM »

That... is seriously legit  Shocked. I bow to your fantastic costume-making abilities. Those hooves are totally cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2013 2/50
2013 Art Journal-along

LV Charlotte Bee Marie's Blog: http://little-rabbit-on-the-prairie.blogspot.com/

Little Visitors Swap
Superhero & Comic Fan Swap
Fabric Printing Swap
sakuracat23

Don't make me get the flying Monkeys!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012 05:55:29 PM »

Wow! Just wow! Its so awesome how you were able to alter the lines of you legs.Bravo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Krafty_Karasu
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

call me KK :)

peace, love & candy corn!

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012 01:14:07 AM »

O_O

I honestly don't know what to say.  awesome just doesn't seem to cover it!  lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for ceramic bisque steer skulls!
Always in need of things like these!!!
Found another soup of acrylic, seed, glass, wood, polymer, metal, and shell beads!  PM me if you want to swap!!
LOTS of fabric available too!!
bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012 05:46:27 AM »

That is amazing!!  Love the horns!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lunamadre
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012 03:31:57 PM »

omg. I can't believe you could actually walk around in those too, that's awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

navycowgirl
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012 02:10:42 PM »

Those hooves are so creative! Great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012 08:09:03 AM »

Every detail of this is amazing!  Your horns are... well, I can't come up with a good adjective, because they've struck me dumb.  If you ever need another 6' dowel, try the moulding section at a home center or lumber yard for closet rod.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ahma
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012 09:19:59 PM »

thank you! They were kind of heavy, but walking wasn't too difficult and people could see me coming (I was about 6foot one in these..) so I didnt trip on anyone or cause any hoof related injuries lol. home depot was totally out of full size dowels, I have seen them before but I think it ended up working out ok and looking kind of weapon like, which was a bonus for a walking prop!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Delectably Deviant
the artist formerly known as monkeystuffer

No power in the 'verse can stop me.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012 11:57:05 AM »

How did you make the hooves?  They look great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Spirited Bourbon-Pecan-Gingerbread Cookies Recipe
How to Make Elegant Praline Rugelach
How to Make Red Velvet Brownies
Gola Maker
How to Make Merry Marble Snickerdoodles
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...