A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,119
Currently Running With Scissors:
537 Guests and 43 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Peacock Tail Engineering HELP!  (Read 821 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tad1uk
« on: October 24, 2012 08:01:42 PM »

I have come to the most creative, ingenious band of people I can think of for help Smiley

I have been searching online and have only found a few ideas. What I need is ideas on how to make a functional peacock tail. If anyone saw the Katy Perry movie, I would ideally want it like her costume for the peacock song/set. It starts down and then she pulls some cords on her costume and the tail raises and stands up behind her.
I've seen tutorials for tails using fans and gluing the feathers to the fan and attaching the fan to a belt or suspenders. And this is fine if I cant manage to engineer something better.
This costume is for a fetish ball, so more than likely I will be wearing body paint/latex and minimal clothing. The tail is the focal point of the costume.

So the criteria for this elaborate tail would be:
-ability to hang down behind me
-ability to be pulled erect
-some kind of locking mechanism to keep it up
-needs to be removable so that I can sit/drive/use the restroom  Shocked

what would function as the "hinge"? How would it be pulled up? How would it be secured to my body but also be removable? Ideas on ways to secure it to my body that isnt a hindrance or eyesore to my costume.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and any ideas are welcome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012 12:55:12 AM »

Preamble: this is one way to do it, I can't definitively say it works, I was just thinking through how I would approach the problem. Feel free to say this is waaaay too much work, I'll find another solution.

I'm assuming that you want the tail to close up and fan out as well. To do all this, you'll need to fix the tail to your waist/bottom and have some sort of device to bring it up to your shoulders: the minimum support I can see would be straps, rather like a backpack straps, so that they go round your waist and over your shoulders. You might or might not need the cross chest strap too.

If you used some fabric for the hinge, that would give the flexibility you need, and if you had a plate at the base that would stop the feathers twisting about. Equally, if you had the centre feather furthest from you and the most extreme edges closest to you that would help too, ooh! that means you could attach the retaining plate to the centre feather (ie, the one that doesn't need to move), that'd be easiest.

Each feather would be roughly an elongated teardrop which you could create from fabric: if you put a tube around the edge you could put a rod of fibreglass (2 or 3mm diameter) inside to keep it stiff for displaying. A series of eyelets (and some cord) in the feathers would allow it to fan out and close back up. A further couple of eyelets on tags on the shoulders would form a channel for you to put cords to raise and lower the tail. To lock it out, then you'd need a means of attaching them to your belt, toggles to wind round, knots to lark's head onto, that sort of thing.

If you wanted the tail to come from your bottom instead of your waist, put an extending panel onto the belt and add a couple more straps, rather like a climbing harness, around your thighs/groin.

To get out of it: undo the belt (and chest strap if used) (loosen the leg straps if used) and shrug out of it!

I have no idea whether this is like the Katy Perry movie, if it's not right I apologise.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
tad1uk
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012 12:07:04 PM »

Great response! Thank you. I have some serious work to do, lol. Now to just get outta bed!  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Myths About Children and Their Parents Debunked
Susanna Kearsley on The Royal York
Loudmouth by Craig Carton
The Roberts Court by Marcia Coyle
Author Patricia Beard Discusses a Certain Summer
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...