A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,553
Currently Running With Scissors:
586 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vintage 'dos and make-up (Come share your secrets!)  (Read 61451 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

redstar13
"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan. " -Tom Landrey

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #190 on: August 08, 2011 11:15:03 PM »

Hi there - I read through this whole thread and I swear I didn't see what I was looking for, if it's there I apologize for repeating this... does anyone know of a tutorial (or just advice) on how to get Veronica Lake waves? I have medium length hair, a little past my shoulders, and I have a big chunk of hair that used to be bangs in the front that is now growing out. For my wedding this summer I'd really like to do something like this

[img width=313 height=333]http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/205723_23May11_Old-Hollywood-Hair.jpg

or this (basically the same I guess)

[img width=397 height=445]http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/205723_23May11_naomi-watts-costume-institu.jpg

Would rag curls work for this? What about sponge rollers? Any tips on getting the front/top to look right? Any advice is appreciated!!

Ok I have done that style on wigs (worked as a wigger in theatre for years!) and have done something similar to my own hair and i know rag curls WILL NOT WORK!!! What you need are large size rollers. Hot rollers will work, but large rollers work best! don't use foam either - they will make your curls tighter and occasionally kinky.

Supplies
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-2519492840586_2171_900255448 the brown ones here
or something like these
http://store.goldenmartbeautysupply.com/ansnonmaro.html
I would say 3/4 inch rollers are the absolute smallest you should go. 1 inch prob best.

Bobby pins/roller pins (not hot roller clips!!) http://store.goldenmartbeautysupply.com/40rollerpins.html
You can use regular bobby pins, but make sure you use at least 2 and that the ends, the rubbery part, is not going to snag on your hair

A spray bottle with water in it. You can add setting lotion, but very little.

blow dryer or lots of time.

the how to

-Hair should be slightly damp.

-Part your hair how you want it in the final look.

-You will roll 3-4 rollers across the front of your head. the first should be on the side with the most hair (left looking at the pictures).

-Section off a bit of hair at a diagonal angle inwards (ie not towards your ear!). Not a lot of hair, maybe 1/2 inch at the scalp. roll this hair forward (towards the mirror). Try and get up as high on your head as you can - don't pull it down towards your ear. This gives the height seen in the images you showed.

-pin it in place at the scalp. pin it good!!

-roll the next one next to it, not behind it, in the same fashion. The last one or 2 near your ear should be done in the same fashion.

-On the other side of the part, you are doing the same, but you are pulling the first curl down away from the hairline so it is a little flatter at the part. you should need about 2 rollers for that side, unless you have a lot of hair.

-beyond the front, in the 2nd row, roll on a slight diagonal, less severe than the first row. The first roller doesn't need to be so close to the part.

- Every other row on the sides of the head should be parallel to the part. For the rear of the head, it should be perpendicular to the part.

-LET IT DRY!! USE HEAT! If you have a bonnet dryer- more power to you!! If not, use a blowdryer and lots of time. when you think its dry, let it dry for an additional 30 minutes under heat. We used to put the human hair wigs in a wig dryer for 1 1/2 - 2 hours to dry it!

hope that roller set makes sense...

The style
-gently remove the pins, one roller at a time, starting at the base of the scalp. This will minimise the hair getting caught on still rolled rollers.

-GENTLY!!!!

- If you used setting lotion, your hair may be slightly crunchy. Don't run your fingers through it.

- when all your hair is unrolled - holding the hair at the root, gently run a bristle brush (soft is good!) through your hair.

- at this point there is some finessing to be done. with a fine tooth comb, comb your bangs/the front of your hair up. just comb the first few inches - no need to go to the end. yet.

- if you have some alligator clips, you can get a more precise "S curl" as seen in the red head's do.http://www.amazon.com/Alligator-Single-Prong-Pinch-Clips/dp/B003HVBHHE i use ones that are 3 inches long. I think I got them at walmart. You can gently clip the hair at the natural curves, to the side of your hair, giving it a bit more support so it is more va-va-voomy.

You are almost done!

-gently comb/brush out the backs and sides. When you are done you can gently spritz with an aerosol hairspray. DO NOT USE PUMP!! It will leave clumps and be bad!! After you spray try not to comb anymore - it separates the hair.

Ok that was a very complicated answer, but I don't have pics or anything to better explain. I may need to do that..

hope it helps!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

thesunandtheturtle
« Reply #191 on: September 22, 2011 03:33:48 PM »

Hi!
Nice interesting topic around here. I'm kinda hippie but sometimes I like to change a little and try different styles. The problem is that my hair is extremely long and I cant make bangs that look good or anything at all. In my graduation I tried to curl my straight  hair and have a vintage style dress but 15 minutes after the hair was full of spray but no curls at all. Any advice? Any hairdos for very long hair you know?
and of course the picture of the curl fail.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tr3kkie9rl
« Reply #192 on: October 17, 2011 11:21:00 AM »

redstar13 - that was an amazing description thank you, I'm going to try it sometime! The wedding already happened and I did pincurls overnight which I think WOULD HAVE stayed in... if not for the fact that it rained all day! But as weddings do, it still turned out awesome. My hair did stay pretty wavy, especially in the front, just the back got a little limp.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whoever i was
I'm not that person now
but what i wish i was
I'm still so far away from
redstar13
"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan. " -Tom Landrey

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #193 on: October 17, 2011 11:33:16 AM »

Hi!
Nice interesting topic around here. I'm kinda hippie but sometimes I like to change a little and try different styles. The problem is that my hair is extremely long and I cant make bangs that look good or anything at all. In my graduation I tried to curl my straight  hair and have a vintage style dress but 15 minutes after the hair was full of spray but no curls at all. Any advice? Any hairdos for very long hair you know?
and of course the picture of the curl fail.
http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/925/unled1owq.jpg

I would recommend trying setting lotion. Its is probably the most old lady beauty tip i have Cheesy You can pick it up at any beauty supply store. I would recommend putting it into a spray bottle and diluting it 2 parts water to 1 part setting lotion. Then if you feel like you need more set, add more!

redstar13 - that was an amazing description thank you, I'm going to try it sometime! The wedding already happened and I did pincurls overnight which I think WOULD HAVE stayed in... if not for the fact that it rained all day! But as weddings do, it still turned out awesome. My hair did stay pretty wavy, especially in the front, just the back got a little limp.

Darn rain!! I hate it when that happens Cheesy Let me know how it works when you try it. I m always curious if my directions make sense Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011 01:23:13 PM by MareMare - Reason: please don't quote images » THIS ROCKS   Logged

rajput9571
« Reply #194 on: December 01, 2012 12:48:34 AM »

I love vintage hairstyle all pinned and set on head, no any bouncy type hair.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Painting Lesson - Color Chapter 1
Painting Lesson - Seeing Color & Value
Learn About "Dream Caused by the Flight of a Bee" by Dali
How to Classically Oil Paint - Part 2
How to Classically Oil Paint - Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...