A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,147
Currently Running With Scissors:
561 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Do you feel like there's enough fabric choice?  (Read 2755 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FreakieGeekie
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Queen of Quirky, lover of all things cute and creepy

Proudly lets her freak flag fly

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012 12:16:24 PM »

I wish there was an interior designer near here but there isn't.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

paisleyhansen
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013 02:50:44 PM »

Just an opinion poll and thoughts really.
I feel like I can never find the sort of fabric I'm after, or it's just way too pricey (I enjoy sewing, but I can't let it drain all of my funds!)
There's nothing locally so everything is done online- which sometimes sucks because you can't see the fabric beforehand.
So I just wanted to hear people's thoughts on their fabric buying experiences. Do you feel like you have enough choice?

I love having plenty of choices so I can get the perfect fit between colors and patterns, so yeah I think there's really not enough choices. The most frustrating thing is going to a brick and mortar store and not finding what you need. I've pretty much exclusively moved all my material purchasing online.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a freelance writer/blogger who loves to write about all things heath/beauty/fashion. When I'm not writing I can usually be found reading a good book Smiley
TkRainy

Everybody wants a big ol' slice of a little pie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013 08:08:45 PM »

I usually make stuff out of clothes. I usually go to Joannes for Fleece and there's tons and tons of fleece. Otherwise, I have multiple Joannes, a Hobby Lobby, multiple Micheals, a Craft Warehouse, and then a few smaller, family run shops (I live in Tri-Cities, i.e. there's 3 towns all in one cluster, so it make one city sort of) so if I really needed to look for something specific, I'm sure I could find something. I recently went to Joannes with a red/green and purple/blue color blind friend, and we stopped looking for the fabric she wanted because they were actually busy and tons of people were looking in the same spot we were in.

I usually go thinking "I need some soft fabric in red or maybe brown" and... Well, I find something that fits within those parameters. I never go thinking of a specific pattern, or even color in mind. I think only having clothes to work with at first made sure I wouldn't look for something specific.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rebecnik
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013 06:48:07 AM »

I definitely agree with you about fabric being expensive. I always see cute clothing and think, "I could make that for so much cheaper." But then when I buy the fabric I think, "This isn't cheaper at all!" I try to look at it as a hobby expense rather than a clothing expense.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013 10:20:42 AM »

My biggest complaint about Fabricland is they never have the nicer fabrics I want. It's very rare to see any wool based fabrics, and the only silk they ever carry is dupioni, which is not the answer to all the world's silk needs... At least their selection of cotton and blended knits is quite good, but some of sits there for literally YEARS and doesn't get marked down except for the occasional sale.

I'm a touchie-feelie-lookie shopper, so the idea of buying something online that I've never touched is kinda scary. I do browse Denver and Fabric.com when I'm curious to see pricing for very specific fabrics, like silk chiffon, or rayon brocade, but I've never actually taken the plunge and ordered.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CandieKL
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2014 10:20:24 AM »

In my immediate area, there is only Joann's, so I buy most of my fabric at Michael Levine's, here is their site:
http://www.lowpricefabric.com/
I visit their store in downtown LA, in the fabric district, where there are a few blocks of fabric (and bead) stores to visit.  Michael Levine's huge!

There is also a Mood in Los Angeles but I don't buy much fabric there.  A lot of it is too fancy and expensive for me.
http://www.moodfabrics.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

painting (encaustic & acrylic), sewing, dioramas, pyrography, PMC, beading
Sylvan
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2014 05:38:42 AM »

I think sewing is more of a middle-class hobby now than a way to be thrifty.
Let's face it, it is much cheaper to just buy clothes, but we sew because we enjoy it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FreakieGeekie
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Queen of Quirky, lover of all things cute and creepy

Proudly lets her freak flag fly

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2014 04:36:50 PM »

I have quite a fabric horde and all of it was bought on sale, as were all of my patterns, so for me, it's about the same. But I will say that my homemade clothes last a lot longer for sure. Heck, most homemade clothes do. A couple years ago we gave away some dresses that had been in our family for at least twenty years. My grandma made them for my cousins then my sister and I got them. These weren't Easter dresses, either, and were worn pretty regularly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Homemade French Fries
Bacon Wrapped Shrimp
How To Cook a Turkey
The History of Pumpkin Pie
How to Make a Delicious Pumpkin Bisque
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...