A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,685
Currently Running With Scissors:
604 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Do you feel like there's enough fabric choice?  (Read 2628 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

maltey
« on: October 31, 2012 06:01:08 PM »

Just an opinion poll and thoughts really.
I feel like I can never find the sort of fabric I'm after, or it's just way too pricey (I enjoy sewing, but I can't let it drain all of my funds!)
There's nothing locally so everything is done online- which sometimes sucks because you can't see the fabric beforehand.
So I just wanted to hear people's thoughts on their fabric buying experiences. Do you feel like you have enough choice?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012 06:11:17 PM »

It seems to me that tasteful, classic patterns have left the planet. When I'm going for something more substantial than quilter's weight, I find it only comes in about 3 colors, none of which I want. If I have to make something out of t-shirt material, I find it easier and more economical to go to Walmart and buy giant men's t-shirts and cut them apart. More color choices that way.

I couldn't buy any fabric online.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

novamc
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012 06:23:48 AM »

im new to sewing and as expected i dont want to jump feet first into buying pretty fabric when then chances are im more than likely to ruin it within seconds!!

i recently bought 1 meter each of two different fabrics one plain red and one with cherrys on to make an apron for a friends christmas present and it came to 10!! (around $16 for our US friends) that was just for the basic stuff! nothing fancy!

although i have found a local market that has a little stall which sells fabric for around 2.50 ($4) a meter. they dont have much of a selection but for what im wanting it will do the job (cheaply) for now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A woman in search of her word....
      twitter - @novamc
RuthieG101
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012 01:56:12 AM »

I would love to go to Mood Fabrics in NY. I probably couldn't afford anything, but it would be great to look at all the choice.

I have 3 shops that I can visit. Only one is a designated fabric shop. One is a haberdashery, and fabric is limited to dancewear.
One is a shop that sells everything except food. They have limited choice is expensive, but is great for notions.
The last is a fabric shop that sells online too. Here, I don't pay over 2.50 meter (in store price, more expensive online) for anything, including fleece! But he has almost no jersey cottons, and his stock may not change for a month.

My first experience buying fabric was on eBay. The fabric was horrible. It was textured in the way it was made. I still have some left and have had to use it for quilting as it would feel horrible to wear.

I did buy some really nice one way stretch material. It only cost me 1 a meter as it was in the end of roll bin. Normally I would toile everything, but as I had 4 meters of the stuff, I just cut 3/4 meter off the bottom and started draping. I had a morning of fun until I realised I didn't have any matching thread so it is stuck on my mannequin until I get some today.

You'll get to a point where you'll just cut at fabric without worrying. Try making blocks/slopers. That way you'll have patterns that fit you and you won't mess up as you have already toiled them, they fit, using cheap fabric.

When I started, I would use thrifted sheets and duvet covers. If you go to charity shops you get a lot of fabric to the pound.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012 08:02:38 PM »

I upcycle clothes from the thrift store.  Far better selection of fabrics and colors than fabric stores, and usually a much better  price.   Look for full dresses and skirts for enough fabric to make blouses and pants.  My local Goodwill often has a 99cent rack, a great resource; our recycle center even offers clothes!  Used to have them for $1 for 25 lbs, glad I stocked up because now they price per piece!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KitsuneClaws
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012 11:44:49 AM »

I get fabric from Goodwill, as well, buying the largest pieces I can find, and even valances and bedsheets.  Of course, I wash everything before I use it, too.  I guess it depends on what you're making and whether you are making it for yourself, or if you are selling your products. 

Have you checked out Spoonflower, yet?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CarinaJo
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012 04:25:30 PM »

I'm only near a Jo-Ann's and a Wal-Mart. Neither ever really have what I'm looking for if I go into the store with a particular color or pattern or even fabric (woven vs. knit) in mind.
My third option is the thrift store, as has been mentioned by others. Sheets are great and so are long full dresses and skirts. I guess you just have to get creative to find -or make!- what you want sometimes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
3rdGenCrafter
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012 11:52:44 AM »

I'm fortunate enough to have a Hancock Fabrics near me, they have a decent selection with great prices. I only ever buy fabric when it is on sale or at a one of my local thrift stores.  I once found 27 yards of medium weight cotton that had a great texture for dress clothes for only $6.  Thrifting is a way of life, and a great way to find vintage or old clothing that you can upcycle and modernize and give it a whole new life.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rarely do well behaved women make history.
-Maryland Monroe
FreakieGeekie
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Queen of Quirky, lover of all things cute and creepy

Proudly lets her freak flag fly

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012 11:08:45 PM »

Not for me. The closest place for me to buy fabric is Walmart and they just don't have a good enough selection for my tastes. They don't even carry brocade, which I love.
The nearest Hancock Fabrics is nearly seventy miles away and I can't afford to go there very often.
Once upon a time, there was an HF within decent driving distance. This was about fifteen years or so ago, when I was a wee ankle-biter. WM drove them out of business and nothing of the sort has ever tried to open here again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012 11:32:38 AM »

I snagged several boxes of high quality fabric samples - some quite large pieces - from an interior designer. They change out their samples pretty much every season, so if you call around you could get lucky.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Author Lisa Lutz
Ann Pearlman Reveals Her Favorite Books
Tom Rob Smith Talks About The Secret Speech
Meet Author Nathan McCall
Jane Costello Talks About My Single Friend
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...