A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 312,969
Currently Running With Scissors:
526 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fleece and Brocade Cowl with Brocade Question  (Read 645 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: April 22, 2014 11:14:30 PM »

I'm slowly learning how to sew (after years of having a sewing machine) and have been adding to my ridiculously huge collection of scarves. I found this tutorial a while ago and have been itching to try it out. It worked like a charm! I only cut one piece of each fabric as opposed to the two pieces they recommended, but I had the yardage to do so. Otherwise, it came out really well and I love wearing it.

For more of my warbling and the tutorial link, check out the original post: http://fanofstuff.com/brocade-and-fleece-cowl/

Otherwise, do anyone have more tips for sewing brocade? It unravels like crazy and I used a zig-zag stitch to prevent that, but I'm not sure what else I could do. Also, my mom said what I used wasn't actually brocade. Any idea what it is then? It was in that section so I just assumed. I'd love to make more with this type of fabric, but I'm having trouble finding any advice other than to interface the whole thing, but I thought that would end up too stiff.

For tutorials, recipes, and patterns, check out my website: Fanofstuff.com.

For handmade gifts and accessories, visit my Etsy shop: Etsy.com/shop/ZyloHandmade

Also find me on pinterest at /fanofstuff or /zylohandmade!
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Make All Things, especially from stash

Live Life Like You Want To!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014 06:26:06 AM »

It turned out quite lovely!  Have you tried Fray Check?  It is almost like a glue that stops fabrics like this from fraying too much...it is because of the way this fabric is woven and the fact that is is probably a rayon-acetate/acrylic blend...I love the color and the feel of these fabrics, but they do fray a lot!  It might not be a true brocade, but I think in most of the major fabric stores, it is found under brocade...look at the back...does the design show a lot of threads in back? Who care, really...you like it no matter what it is, so use it! Grin

The only thing about fray check is that it does get a bit stiff but since it is inside and not against your skin, it would work fine.  I wouldn't interface it for a scarf but I have used this fabric for lining purses and used a very stiff interfacing.

Full Time Granny

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014 08:40:34 AM »

You could use french seams.
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014 04:40:57 PM »

Thanks for the tips! I think I have some Fray Check that I got when I got my sewing machine, but I've never actually used it. I'll have to look up and see what a french seam is, but I guess any seam would be helpful.

For tutorials, recipes, and patterns, check out my website: Fanofstuff.com.

For handmade gifts and accessories, visit my Etsy shop: Etsy.com/shop/ZyloHandmade

Also find me on pinterest at /fanofstuff or /zylohandmade!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Using Cumin Seeds in Indian Cooking
How to Make Indian Pakoras
Using Coriander in Cooking
Aarti Sequeira Presents the Basics of Indian Cooking
Marcel Vigneron Explains Molecular Gastronomy
Latest Blog Articles
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...