A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,523
Currently Running With Scissors:
593 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fleece and Brocade Cowl with Brocade Question  (Read 230 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Zylo
« on: April 22, 2014 11:14:30 PM »

I'm slowly learning how to sew (after years of having a sewing machine) and have been adding to my ridiculously huge collection of scarves. I found this tutorial a while ago and have been itching to try it out. It worked like a charm! I only cut one piece of each fabric as opposed to the two pieces they recommended, but I had the yardage to do so. Otherwise, it came out really well and I love wearing it.

For more of my warbling and the tutorial link, check out the original post: http://fanofstuff.com/brocade-and-fleece-cowl/

Otherwise, do anyone have more tips for sewing brocade? It unravels like crazy and I used a zig-zag stitch to prevent that, but I'm not sure what else I could do. Also, my mom said what I used wasn't actually brocade. Any idea what it is then? It was in that section so I just assumed. I'd love to make more with this type of fabric, but I'm having trouble finding any advice other than to interface the whole thing, but I thought that would end up too stiff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For tutorials, recipes, and patterns, check out my website: Fanofstuff.com.

For handmade gifts and accessories, visit my Etsy shop: Etsy.com/shop/ZyloHandmade

Also find me on pinterest at /fanofstuff or /zylohandmade!
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014 06:26:06 AM »

It turned out quite lovely!  Have you tried Fray Check?  It is almost like a glue that stops fabrics like this from fraying too much...it is because of the way this fabric is woven and the fact that is is probably a rayon-acetate/acrylic blend...I love the color and the feel of these fabrics, but they do fray a lot!  It might not be a true brocade, but I think in most of the major fabric stores, it is found under brocade...look at the back...does the design show a lot of threads in back? Who care, really...you like it no matter what it is, so use it! Grin

The only thing about fray check is that it does get a bit stiff but since it is inside and not against your skin, it would work fine.  I wouldn't interface it for a scarf but I have used this fabric for lining purses and used a very stiff interfacing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
Mixedpibbles

Full Time Granny

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014 08:40:34 AM »

You could use french seams.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Zylo
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014 04:40:57 PM »

Thanks for the tips! I think I have some Fray Check that I got when I got my sewing machine, but I've never actually used it. I'll have to look up and see what a french seam is, but I guess any seam would be helpful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For tutorials, recipes, and patterns, check out my website: Fanofstuff.com.

For handmade gifts and accessories, visit my Etsy shop: Etsy.com/shop/ZyloHandmade

Also find me on pinterest at /fanofstuff or /zylohandmade!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Split Edits Are
Ken Burns on Technological Advances in Filmmaking
Ken Burns on Overcoming Filmmaking Obstacles
Ken Burns on “The National Parks”
Ken Burns on How the Film Shapes the Filmmaker
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...