A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
486 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I Love Lucy (but not THAT Lucy!)  (Read 1018 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CraftyOctober
« on: October 31, 2012 10:36:45 AM »

Ok, a little backstory here: I went to Minneapolis last week for the Vikings game, and made a detour on the way home to a craft shop called Digs because I found out that they carry Jenny Hart's (Sublime Stitching) new line of embroidery floss. I just had to get some! (Seriously guys, have you seen this stuff? The colors are gorgeous.) While I was at the shop, I saw these teeny little prints of Minneapolis landmarks, and my boyfriend thought it would be a cute idea to do embroidery versions of places here in Fargo, ND, where we both live.

Now, originally, I'm from NJ, and before I moved to ND nearly five years ago, I lived in Margate, NJ. If you're not already familiar with it, Margate houses a very special landmark--Lucy the Elephant, the world's largest!

So, considering I grew up with and love Lucy more than any other landmark I've seen, I figured she'd be a great warm-up to those Fargo icons Matt wants me to do.

Plus, with Hurricane Sandy having just ravaged my old hometown and sticking my poor family without any power, she seems more appropriate now than ever.

Enough chat, here's pics!

This is Lucy! She's made of wood and houses a museum. The funniest thing about Miss Lucy is that she faces the beach, so when you drive past her on Atlantic Avenue, you're faced with her big butt (which has a window right under her tail). Cracks me up!

I sketched her out in my sketchbook and then transferred her to the fabric. She's mostly split and back stitches. The only floss that wasn't from the Sublime Floss line was white, as the store didn't carry the palette with the white floss. Oh yeah, and this hoop is only 3" across!

I am in love with her little French knot toenails! The city of Margate has painted Lucy's nails from time to time for celebrations and such.

I know some of you love the back views, so here you go. I started out neat enough, but got lazier as I got towards the end (the howdah was the last thing I worked, specifically, so it's sloppiest).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a Craftster Best of 2011 Winner!

Yup, definitely not hipster enough for Craftster.
Harvey

Here's to inappropriate!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012 01:41:17 PM »

I really like your hoop.

I saw this house for the first time yesterday when someone posted a picture of it on a blog I read, showing that it had survived Sandy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cankle

I'm a piece of work.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012 02:54:31 PM »

I've never heard of Lucy but what a treasure! I love the idea of her butt facing the highway hahaha! I'm so glad she, and your family, survived Sandy. You hoop in just adorable--and even better that's it's just 3"!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
waterbaby
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012 10:08:09 PM »

Great job -- and you even captured the staring eye expression perfectly in such a few stitches!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewIn2Disney

Yup - My wedding Limo was the Wienermobile!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012 06:16:02 AM »

I'm a Jersey Girl as well-- and I know Lucy well-- I visit her often when I go to AC.  What a great tribute to her! (And I'm so glad she survived Sandy!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bluecat158
bad influence

aww... i wanted to explode...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013 12:35:12 PM »

I'm late to the party (story of my life) - but I LOVE your Lucy!  We visited in November after the storms on a donation run and we visited Lucy.  Her nails were blue at the time   Cheesy  Hubby gave me a Lucy charm for my Pandora bracelet for Christmas, I became soooooooo obsessed with her!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You haven't touched it?  Something is broken and it's not your fault?"

"I know - I'm scared too!"
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Plein-Air Landscape Painting
How to Make a Composition in Your Painting
How to Paint the Landscape
Painting Lesson - Color Chapter 1
Painting Lesson - Seeing Color & Value
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...