A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,509
Currently Running With Scissors:
555 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Slippery hats, what to do?  (Read 1421 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Craftsunderground
« on: October 29, 2012 12:35:24 PM »

I could use some advice. My friend's mother is about 70 and has very little hair. She would like some knit hats (like a slouchy hat) to put on to cover her hair when she goes out. As it is now she has to wash her hair and put product in it before she goes anywhere and that is very inconvenient. The real problem is that the caps she has tried (including headbands) just slide right off her head and she doesn't have enough hair to use clips of any kind.
First, I was thinking of knitting a lacy open-work hat with a fine yarn, to keep the weight to a minimum. Do any of you have knowledge of a product that can either be applied to a finished hat or knit into the band to keep the hat from slipping; something like silicone, perhaps, that would be grippy, but not tight like elastic? I would appreciate your suggestions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teesha Moore inspired patches--anyone want to swap?
eiyela
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012 12:47:28 PM »

What about those silicone bands that are used for strapless bras or stay-up stockings? They're reasonably stretchy and see-through. I don't have any idea where to find them, unfortunately.  Undecided
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012 12:47:57 PM by eiyela » THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012 11:05:42 AM »

You could weave elastic thread through the edging stitches on the inside. That wouldn't be too stiff or tight and could help to keep them on a bit better. I'm thinking it's the product that she puts on her hair that makes her hair slippery and probably nothing will stay on well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Craftsunderground
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012 05:29:26 PM »

Thanks, both of you, for the suggestions. I am looking for silicone grippers and will try knitting in the elastic. You are right, the hair products might be the problem; I never thought of that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012 07:51:02 AM »

The elastic thread isn't knit with the yarn. You put it on a needle and weave it through the stitches after you're done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Craftsunderground
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012 07:26:32 PM »

Is this the same type of elastic thread that you sew with, or is it special for knitting?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ashling
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012 08:56:53 PM »

I'd like to try this too.  Is there a trick for finishing off the ends of the eastic once it's sewn in?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheIvyForest
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012 08:43:46 AM »

Is this the same type of elastic thread that you sew with, or is it special for knitting?

Any fine sewing or crafting elastic thread will do! I usually use sewing elastic thread, like this!

I'd like to try this too.  Is there a trick for finishing off the ends of the eastic once it's sewn in?

Ashling, there is no special way to finish it off... Just knot the ends and trim the excess off! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012 11:02:32 AM »

Regular elastic thread - you can get it at walmart, fabric and craft stores in the notions section.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
crazy_bc_jen
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012 12:16:56 PM »

You could get a tube of clear silicone caulking (for use in bathroom renovations, etc.) and put dots of it on the inside of the band of the hat.  It wouldn't feel tight because the bits are not continuous - they are just grippy bits.  Let it dry thoroughly before wearing.  It would be machine washable once dry.

This could also help retrofit existing headwear in her collection.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Unconventional Cropping
How to Create Rembrandt Lighting
How to Create Backlight Photography
How to Use a Ringflash
How to Interact with model in photo shoot
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...