A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
666 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Not just for a Kid, but BY a Kid!  (Read 3133 times)
Tags for this thread: shirt  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« on: October 27, 2012 01:29:17 PM »

So, husband and I have been homeschooling the Child since easter, and the whole family are so much happier. One of her favorite things to do is get the sewing machines out and have fun making something. I try to get other things into it like the maths of measuring, problem solving in designing etc...
Today the child decided she wanted to do some sewing. Fine, it's horrible weather, we've nothing better to do!!!

She wanted to make herself a top to wear to a sewing fun class she's going to next week. It's a kid's "how to make your own bunting" class at a local bookshop.... ANYWAY...... I thought a square shirt would be easiest for her to handle. I used this tutorial to make one for myself a while ago, so I showed Child how to mark it out, pin, cut, what a seam allowance is, what needle to use with a knit fabric.... she already knows how to use a sewing machine.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=118928.0 <--- awesome tute.

Here is her shirt. she did the sewing with minimal input from me, then decided it needed bows at the nackline so I showed her how to do those and she stitched them on. the best bit? she's not even 7 years old yet.

thankfully she fabric she picked out of my fabric box doesn't need hemming, it's a waffle type knit fabric so it wont fray Smiley

Her second project today was a hat for her Dad. it's got really cold here this week! she drew a design, I cut the fabric and pinned for her, the sewed both the hat and lining an I helped her to hem. next project this week? who the heck knows!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewmess

Even Mini crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012 02:45:26 PM »

That is awesome!  Good for her!  And good for you being a teacher/mommy/craftster!

That she is making for others is wonderful!

And, from one who was homeschooled for a while, I know what you're talking about trying to fit math and geometry and stuff into the sewing.  Everything in my life suddenly became educational. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Reclaiming my Crafting heritage one stitch at a time.
skatergirl1007
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012 05:29:45 PM »

Oh that is awesome!! I have been sewing for about 4-5 years and have yet to get enough confidence to make clothes. So its great that she has made something like that already!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Oath Keeper

Addicted to Plushies...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012 05:34:55 PM »

Ah look at her, she looks like such a Jr. Miss! Smiley And I need that shirt in my size lol. Wish I was half that good at sewing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Video Game Swap: Crafting

Can't swap? I do commissions too Wink
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012 06:29:13 AM »

anyone who thinks they can't make this shirt is nuts, seriously. click the tutorial link. even if you're "circus mirror" style like me (very short, quite wide lol) or straight up and down like the child, it looks good!!!

and she thanks you all for your kind words Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anderlance
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012 09:56:31 AM »

You have a budding fashion designer in the making my dear.  She did a fabulous job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
deeredone2
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012 06:41:53 AM »

That's so cute!  Tell her good job!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012 09:03:09 AM »

Tell her she did a fantastic job making that shirt. 

I love the bows she added.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
mrsjennifer
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012 12:52:23 PM »

That is super fantastic!!!  We homeschool too and my 6yo daughter is dying for the day that I let her operate the sewing machine.  I guess we'll have to try it out now.  I was making her hand sew, but she isn't so good at tying off, so that's been slow going.  Maybe the sewing machine will go better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012 07:49:34 AM »

Soph is terrible at hand sewing, she hasn't the coordination, but I was hoping that the closely supervised use of the machine will help that.

I know it helped my coordination. I swear it's one of the reasons I've recovered from minor brain damage following a coma! having to use my foot, and hands, and check the fabric, and not sew my fingers, and relax and enjoy myself seems to have started new pathways forming in my brain to replace the ones that got fried by the minor oxygen deprivation...

I noticed after the first few months of machine sewing post-damage, I could walk better and could also walk and talk at the same time (no mean feat). My neurologist says it's not a coincidence either. I am hoping that the same pathways will begin to form in Soph's brain, making her a little more coordinated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Concert Photography Tips
Prime Lenses Vs. Zoom Lenses
Dan Bracaglia Talks About His Digital Photography Experience
Wedding Photography Techniques
Studio Photography Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...