A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,053
Currently Running With Scissors:
660 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: WWP Samhain Round 39 (SU 9-30 to 10-6, SO 10-29)  (Read 5366 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2012 03:03:37 PM »

Another way to do candles is this way:

http://www.craftbits.com/project/tissue-paper-candle

I did a lot of candles like this for holiday gifts embossed with a Christmas tree. People loved it.

You could draw your own symbols too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
Melissaurus
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2012 04:59:50 PM »

If you want to do an engraved candle, the best way I can explain is like this:

-Make sure you pick a fairly simple pattern when you first start out. (the more complex, the easier it is for the wax to chip off in places you don't want it to chip off, which will happen some no matter what you do, especially when you're starting).
-I usually use a needle or a thumbtack to carve the contours of the design DEEP in to the candle (they won't show up when you start removing wax, so the deeper you can go, the better. This will, again, stop the wax from chipping off)
-Then carefully begin removing the wax from the candle, in the area of your design. I usually use a knife, or a strong straw can sometimes work well. Just keep working and it should peel off quite nicely, especially if you've scored deep in to the candle. Once you get under the coloured wax, it comes off pretty easily.

Hope those tips help. Smiley The tissue paper candles look lovely, too...never thought of doing them that way before...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012 07:11:23 PM »

I'm intrigued by the tissue paper method too. Especially as you could stamp or paint your design. Just remember to only do it with a large candle, because you don't want the shell of tissue paper (that will remain as the candle burns to be too close to the flame.

Another way to help keep your candle from chipping as you carve the outside is to warm it enough to soften the outside slightly. A dip in hot water should be enough. Don't heat it enough to actually make the wax soft, though, or you'll never be able to avoid fingerprints on it. Sad

I like an X-acto knife for wax carving. Neat-obsessed, I guess. I just like the glassy smoothness you can get on the wax with a thin, sharp blade.

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Radmom
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2012 08:59:26 AM »

Okay, I am terribly sorry for the lateness in uploading pictures. We had a lot of issues with our network server. Also unfortunately, I had to take these pics with my crappy cellphone because my camera charger has vanished. These items I got from Spazgirl1981

Goddess Canvas art 8x10 Multi Medium and I love it

Candles black and orange, funny part was I went nuts looking for these and no one seemed to have them, including my Wally World

Bobbles- All kinds of goodies for my steampunk love

wristlets- again inspired by my pinterest and they fit.

A canvas pentacle cauldron necklace. Isn't it cute!?!

Thanks Betsy for everything!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MamanTattoo
)O(

Homeschooling explains a lot of my crafts!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2012 11:19:44 AM »

It really is! I love the cuffs!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whileitsraining
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2012 11:22:08 AM »

I received yesterday from hawkeyes girl and love! You shouldn't have worried at all!  HG made me a beautiful fabric bowl from my wists and it is the perfect size for my altar!  The colors are perfect for Yule as well!  I took the first picture yesterday, but I should have done the whole lot then.. Today's pictures are terrible as we are getting a snow/rain storn Sad

First up I will show an "action shot" My Boobah decided that this fabulous fabric bowl should really be her new hat.....

And now what all came in the package and how it should be used!

The whole lot, with the bowl in proper use full of chocolates for me and the fam.    Next to that is a size view of the bowl with all its quilting details.  The outside is greens and the inside is a deep reddish pink, very very pretty in real life.  My crap pictures don't do it justice!  Second row has a hand written Brighid's House Blessing which will go into my BoS as well as some home grown, hand picked organic sage from HG's garden Smiley LOVE the way it smells.  I hope to be able to smudge with it?  and finally a set of super cute candles for my altar.  They smell like the sage, not sure if they are suppose to, but hey I will take it. They are sitting on top of a extra fat quarter of some beautiful green fabric.  

Thank you for such an awesome swap package!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ani

Clear a space to make a mess!
http://www.wists.com/whileitsraining
whileitsraining
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2012 04:04:12 PM »

I love those cuffs! We are trying to do a handmade yule again this year with only a few select purchased gifts and so far I have several ideas from the gallery I am going to try to recreate!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ani

Clear a space to make a mess!
http://www.wists.com/whileitsraining
spazgirl1981
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

AlphaBetsy Bomber

I took up croquet today and I'm on fire!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2012 04:48:10 PM »

I'm so glad you liked everything Radmom. I felt almost backwards this swap, having taken so long off. Thanks for an amazing swap!!

I love the fabric bowls. I need to get brave and try to make one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Witchhippie
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2012 07:17:38 AM »

I received a fabulous package from monnie.
First up is this wood burned jewelry box.

And all the goodies that came in it!!

Sorry for the crappy pictures.  It seems like ever since the time change it's dark when I get home.

Halloween bowl and a wood burned sign,which I love!!

Back

This small bag, which will be great at the festivals.

And these pantyhose

A witchy sign and a pumpkin frame.

Candle and

This cute fellow

Small and large altar cloth

Hippie pants and a apron

My son took off with the pants and said he is going to wear them this weekend at the renaissance festival.

And some pages for my BOS

Thank you monnie, I love everything!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/JW32
http://pinterest.com/witchhippie/

There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened. - Mary Kay Ash
monnie31
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2012 08:45:54 AM »

Everything in the box could be used as a travelling altar kit including the small altar cloth
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Do A Fishtail Braid
How to Create French Braid / Gotham Braid
How to Curl Your Hair With Straightening Iron
Hair How To: Hair Jewellery
How to Do a Crazy Hairstyle
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...