A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 299,125
Currently Running With Scissors:
567 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday 10/26/12  (Read 1259 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

breabadair
« on: October 26, 2012 05:58:17 PM »

I didn't see a thread. So, I think I'll be the one to start it.

The first thing I did was finish plying Alpaca singles. I had three colors, red, purple, and blue. The blue I mixed with some silver firestar, it started looking a bit Tardis-y. In a good way. I wish I had more of that so I could have plied it with itself. But I didn't. So, decided that I wanted to see how plying each color together would affect the overall color.

So, here is the result of that. I think the three total are almost 200 yards...I didn't spin as finely as I would have liked.

I finished those quickly because I was eager to start spinning up one of the batts Jexxican sent me in the fiber swap. So I had the singles first, but because I broke off my larger Whorl on my DD a few days ago (it fell out of my hand and landed on a chair. I have wood glue to fix it soon) I had to use the smaller of the two, which I haven't done yet, so the singles ended up overspun.

Here are the singles

Here they are after they were plied:

Jexxican's batts are so beautiful. They've been so fun to spin up. I'm going to put half of it up to save for a special day, so I don't spin up the rest of it.

I know everyone's busy finishing up their swap items to send out, but if anyone else has done anything, I'd love to see Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012 06:15:02 PM »

That alpaca looks lovely! And it's just the way I like it. In someone elses house, and only on a screen Cheesy And, those singles from Jexx's batts aren't overspun.  When you ply you want a bit of extra twist, as they unspin when you ply them. They look great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

breabadair
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012 06:22:44 PM »

They aren't? Well that's good to know. They are a little thick/thin in spots, which was where I was getting the corkscrewing. Which was bothering me, which was why I thought I was overspinning. Ah well. Smiley I Loved spinning and plying.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jexxican

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012 06:28:52 PM »

So you did some blue and purple, some blue and red, and some red and purple? That's what I am seeing: doth mine eyes deceive? They all look really cool. And that batt spun up looks great! I'm glad you're enjoying it.

I, unfortunately, don't have anything to share. I've been busy elsewhere, and while I really really really want to spin up more of this Copper Mine that I shared a few weeks ago, I'm not allowed to touch fiber until after Wednesday. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012 06:39:40 PM »

Well, from what I see it doesn't look over spun.  And twist will pile in the thin spots, but with practice those will become less and less.   Cork screwing can also have something to do with the way you let the yarn enter the oriface.  if you push it, you will get kinks and twists.  If you let it be pulled in under minimal tension, you wont see it kink or twist upon it self.

I do have stuff I should take pics of and share.... I've just been lazy, photography wise, anyway....

THIS ROCKS   Logged

breabadair
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012 07:10:22 PM »

Jexxican, you're right, red/blue, blue/purple, red/purple. I didn't have enough of each other to do something on it's own (one ounce of each). So I wanted to play with them. It was the first alpaca that I've done, it was fun.

I'm definitely enjoying the batts. I kept making my boyfriend look away from minecraft to show him how pretty it was looking.  You should be getting your swap package tomorrow. (If you haven't been checking I have Tongue I'm super excited)

I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else is doing. When they have time. Smiley Belladune, now that you mention it, I may have been feeding it a little, so what you said makes sense. I need to keep my eye on that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rodelphia
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012 07:57:31 PM »

i learned how to chain ply on some alpaca roving that i dyed, i should be able to get some pictures of it up in the morning. Smiley its pretty much the best thing ever living where there are a ton of alpaca farms. lots of nice squishy, soft fiber for me! breabadair, everything looks so shiny! i love it, nice work.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012 08:00:00 PM by Rodelphia » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Self Publish a Book
Hot On HuffPost Books
Amy McNamara Shares Lovely, Dark and Deep
The Self Defeating Myths of Change
The Many Moods of Cheat
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...