A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,067
Currently Running With Scissors:
680 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pip-Boy made from scavenged parts  (Read 1000 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ChainCrafts
Archaic Artisan

The Nyckelharpa is a lovely, strange beast!

View Profile WWW
« on: October 25, 2012 08:03:35 AM »

(the photos have censor-bars across them because I removed a web link from the photo to comply with our community's policies Smiley My wife was the photographer and she kindly gave me permission to remove the web-link)

I recently made this for a client of mine. He wanted me to make a re-imagined version of the Pip-Boy from the Fallout games. So, what I constructed is what I imagined the Pip-Boy would end up looking like after a decade or so in the wastes: Rough, gritty, almost all of its' components replaced with scavenged bits of tech as the original pieces, one by one, either broke down or were smashed in fights with mutants.

The control panel and speaker grill were stripped off a vintage CB radio (manufactured in the early 70's). The screen housing was also taken from a piece of 70's tech: an old 35mm film editing machine. To prepare the bits of the CB radio, I dismantled it, removed the face plate  (which was that plastic, fake wood pattern ever-so-popularly used in the 70's) and repainted it with a flat grey primer. The screen housing was easier, I just had to cut it off of the film editor. The little gizmo on the top is a gear mechanism for advancing the 35mm film. When you spin the large wheel, the little wheel spins rapidly. It serves no purpose but is very fun.

There is a compartment below the screen housing into which a smart phone can be inserted. The flap then is wrapped back around to cover the edge of the phone (the phone used as an example is larger than my client's, hence it sticks out a bit.) I left the screen housing open by removing it's old screen cover. That way, one can interact with the smart phone inside.

The entire back of the Pip-Boy is covered in black leather. Every piece of post-apocalyptic wear is better with leather. And sports equipment. LOTS of sports equipment. Tina Turner's guards in bartertown would've been in a bad place without their sports equipment. But I digress.....  the Pip-Boy is attached to the forearm with stretchy & comfortable broad elastic straps.

As you can see from the status of all of the limbs... this vault-dweller is a-okay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Myrdda
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying. - Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012 08:45:55 AM »

I wish that it was my husband who commissioned this for my christmas present - but i'm pretty sure it's not.

This is so cool. I loves it enormously.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SWAPS:
Geeky Swap - sent

My Wists! www.wists.com/Myrdda
My Pinterest! www.pinterest.com/Myrdda
amigurl55

I already did!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012 09:00:03 AM »

This is quite possibly the most amazing thing I've ever seen on this forum.  I'm hitting "this rocks!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I told you: I only wrote that poem to test my printer!

My etsy shop: http://dollycouture55.etsy.com
BoomerBile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012 06:54:02 PM »

My jaw dropped!
It looks fantastic.
That is one lucky client
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Pair of Earrings
How to Make a Silver Ring
How to Make a Crystal Pendant
How to Make a Beaded Necklace
Yves Behar Argues Swiss Design No Longer Exists
Latest Blog Articles
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...