A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 299,122
Currently Running With Scissors:
658 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Spirit or Mojo Pouches for Twins  (Read 975 times)
Tags for this thread: buffalo , bison  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Listessa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: October 23, 2012 12:01:42 AM »

One of my long-time friends is pregnant with twin boys.  Since one of my hobbies is fur and leather stitching, especially creating items to be used for some ceremonial or spiritual intent, she asked if she could commission me to create little Mojo Pouches or Spirit Bags (whichever people care to call them) for her babies.  They are something special that she wants to use to keep small tokens as her boys grow.  That way she can give them to the boys when they are old enough if they wish to have a special keepsake.

Of course I didn't let her commission me - I made them for her as a gift for her Mother's Blessing! 
She gave me all of the specifics:  the size is approximately 3" X 5", she wanted the materials to be entirely deer plus the other chosen animals (including the stitching), the colors were to be natural browns along with blue and green. 
Anything else was to be the sort of good fortune, happiness, protection type symbolism for a child.

Here they are with closed flaps. 

There are the open flaps- the toggle button area is more visible in this one. 

Both bags have the same base, and are of the same pattern.  I sort of made the pattern up as I went, since I had the brilliant idea of designing something totally different starting around midnight one night.  On the cool side of things, when I went to bed I had a dream about finishing them- so my subconscious figured out the bumps in the road as I slept.

The bags are entirely deer leather, including the lacing.  The super skinny lacing on the sides and the toggles was hand cut from a regular lace piece, I used some large sheers and cut each strip into thirds.  The blue and green drawstring laces were originally white, and given new dye jobs by my super helpful boyfriend.  (For some reason I couldn't find any colors at the usual stores this year!)  They are tipped with little copper cones to add a bit of jingle, and for the beneficial properties of copper. 

All of the stitching is done with real deer sinew as well.  That is seriously hard work as compared to thread.  I'm not sure if I will undergo that again for a while...  All of the holes had to be made with an awl or a punch, good thing my boyfriend does some leather work so his tools were handy!  It would have taken ages and been inaccurate if I was left to my own devices with a razor knife or box cutter.

I think it only took me about 4 nights to make these, complete with troubleshooting time. 

This bag has a flap made of Caribou hide.  The scrap I cut it from needed a little help, as someone prior managed to get glue or paper mache or something all over the fur on one side.  A little work with a wet paper towel and some brushing brought it back to life!
The beads and buttons are slices of caribou antler, and the tip of an antler tine. 

This bag is the Buffalo bag.  The flap is a piece re-purposed from what was once a pillow.  I ran the fur brush through it a few times to fluff it back up and take out any mats. 
The toggles are buffalo teeth with some horn (hypothetically buffalo) beads to add dangle.     

On the inside:

Each bag has an identical packet.  They are made of the last bit of leather that the bags were cut from, and tied with a piece of elk leather lacing.  I put together some special stones from my collection, so they each have the same things inside. 

She was blown away when I let her unwrap them!  All she expected were some basic square drawstring pouches with maybe some accents.   Grin  I was really happy to do something extra special for her, since we have been good friends for over 12 years! 

Now I really want to make one for myself with some wolf fur scraps I have hanging around, and possibly some salmon leather if I see some available at the store!

Questions or comments welcome!  If you would like more detail on stitching with sinew, or fur and leather stitching in general, feel free to ask.  I have a ton of pictures of the pouch process and would be happy to share or write a tutorial on that type of stitching if people are so inclined.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
jennythor
crafty where it counts

crafting and swimming will save the world

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012 06:06:13 AM »

incredible!
I've been working towards making myself a spirit bag since i was a kid
collecting things as I've gone along
how did you decide on the fur?
i absolutely adore them, thank you so much for sharing
THIS ROCKS   Logged

love to take part in personal swaps, I would love a poppet of my very own, or a doll like the ones made by Poppets & Lace
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012 09:12:27 PM »

These are great.  I love the wild look of them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Listessa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012 09:30:51 PM »

Thank you both so much!  They really were something else to make.  Smiley 
I've never really given away anything like this before, or even made anything like this for another person so it was extra special!

incredible!
I've been working towards making myself a spirit bag since i was a kid
collecting things as I've gone along
how did you decide on the fur?
i absolutely adore them, thank you so much for sharing

I ended up choosing caribou and buffalo at my friend's request.  She wanted buffalo for her son A. and wanted deer (without specifying any particular species) for her other son T.  I went with caribou rather than white tail or other deer, since I live in Alaska.  It is also a fluffier pelt than regular deer, so it gives a little more texture too.   

Creating a bag is a lot of fun!  There were more steps involved than the regular crafting too, since I wanted to make sure everything was just right spiritually too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Baby Bumble Bee Sweater Part 4/9
How to Crochet a Baby Bumble Bee Sweater Part 6/9
How to Crochet a Baby Bumble Bee Sweater Part 2/9
How to Crochet a 6 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 2/4
How to Crochet a Baby Bumble Bee Sweater Part 7/9
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...