A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,856
Currently Running With Scissors:
812 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dressup Chest for a Boy - Costume Ideas?  (Read 806 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

leather and lace

I'm too 'XC' for my spikes!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 22, 2012 08:14:48 PM »

I have a nephew who is just barely two and seriously already the smartest kid I know. He can already count to 20 and say the alphabet (he tends to forget f, though), he can remember anyone he meets (he lives in WI, we're in IA, he still calls to talk to us even though we've only seen him once), and he self-potty trained by telling himself "Go, Packers, go! Touchdown!" lol. I may be biased, but still Smiley.

Anyways, I had this idea to make him a dressup chest with a few costumes for his third birthday, and then give him a new costume every year to add to it. That way, he can learn all about different professions, for lack of a better term. I had this idea to make each character a set (astronaut & alien, for example) so that my brother (his dad) or his friends could play with him. My second idea was to have each character have three basic pieces of gear that could be used for more than one outfit, so he could spend more time playing and less time getting dressed for the part. Most of the ideas I already have are things he could attach to/pull on over whatever clothing he's wearing that day. Here's what I have so far:

Astronaut/Alien
     helmet/jetpack/?   Antenna/Eyemask/?

Superhero/Villain
     cape/mask/outside underwear (sounds weird, I know. Think Superman)   mask/cape/some kind of doom device?

Cowboy/Indian
     cowboy hat/gun/stick horse     feather headband/tomahawk/loincloth?

Knight/Dragon
     armor(including shield)/stick horse/sword     wings/tail/fire or horns?

Archer/Swordsman?

bow&arrows/quiver/throwing knives or target?     sword/?/?

Spy/?

binoculars/?/?     ?/?/?

Pirate/?
     pirate hat/sword/gun     ?/?/?

Anything with a ? is what I'm having trouble with. If you can think of any "opposites" or essential pieces of gear, it would be really helpful! (I think I'm going to include some miscellaneous items too, like a compass, bandanna, stick-on mustaches, etc.) Any additional characters would be appreciated as well! (At the moment, I'm going for more fictional type stuff, no firefighters or anything yet, but maybe I'll change my mind)

THANK YOU!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2013 2/50
2013 Art Journal-along

LV Charlotte Bee Marie's Blog: http://little-rabbit-on-the-prairie.blogspot.com/

Little Visitors Swap
Superhero & Comic Fan Swap
Fabric Printing Swap
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012 09:25:10 AM »

You could give him themed sets, not necessarily pairs of opposites. That way, you can keep adding to the "outer space" set, or he can make his own cardboard weapons for his "medieval" set when he gets a little older.

Outer space: silver balaclava/helmet for an astronaut, a green/purple/other strange colour balaclava/helmet with antennae for a Martian (not fleece, or anything; maybe just dancewear fabric for shiny/holographic-ness), a raygun or three will be pretty essential, a fold-up cardboard spaceship, capes to match the headgear (maybe with appliqued emblems)...

Medieval: a pair of crowns that are sufficiently different from each other, a couple of tabards with emblems, perhaps a hood or two (a London hood, two piece hood, cowl hood), a helmet or two (these appear to be based on the shelby kaava balaclava), a dragon hood and wings sound like a great idea, a shield and horse will be essential for at least one of the knights, and perhaps a couple of felt weapons built around padded wooden dowels, a fold-up cardboard castle...

High Seas: anything pirate-y you can lay hands on! A tricorn hat, a bifold hat, a felt sabre or two, some waist sashes, a felt shoulder parrot and felt shoulder monkey, some flintlock pistols made of felt or altered waterguns (or splurge and buy some plastic ones while they're available for Halloween), a fold-up cardboard ship, a telescope, compass and astrolabe, a treasure map, an eye patch or two (these can get really gunky what with being on the face, so make sure mom/dad know to wash them pretty often), and my boyfriend just yelled out peg-leg, so I'm thinking a piece of felt embroidered to look like wood that velcroes around one calf, my room-mate suggests a blunderbus (a type of musket) and "it must be functional!" LOL!

I hope that gives you some ideas, and don't forget we'd love to see the results of all your crafting!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012 10:42:49 AM »

one to include might be santa, raindeer, elf as I bet kids would have fun with that.

Some simple animal hoods/hats (lion, bear, etc.).  Maybe these could go with some circus themed items. 

For the pirate, instead of an opposite I would just include multiple pirate pieces.  Or you could do a mermaid as opposite. 

I wouldn't worry too much about making sure everything has an opposite, I remember having really random dressup clothes as a kid (typically left over halloween costumes) and we always managed to find ways to play with them. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
eiyela
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012 12:08:31 PM »

What about pirates vs. ninjas as opposites? Then you can throw the spy gear in there too!  Grin

I don't suppose your supervillain wants wants some sort of evil minion/pet?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leather and lace

I'm too 'XC' for my spikes!

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012 03:32:33 PM »

Thanks guys, this is all really helpful!

Alexus1325: Thank you soo much! Some of that fancy vocab is a little daunting, but the links are seriously wicked, especially those helmets! With all the ideas I'm getting there might be two dressup chest, or maybe one reallly big one lol And I think I might go with your idea of sets too, all I could think of for a pirate opposite would be an Englishman, all hoity toity like, and I think he's a wee bit too young to get that Wink

kjlutz: i didn't even think of circus, but that's a really great idea, lots of room for costumes there!

eiyela: PETS ARE A GREAT IDEA! I didn't consider something like that! I love plushies, and that way, I have an excuse to make a bunch:) My mom thinks its weird that I would still like stuffed animals lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2013 2/50
2013 Art Journal-along

LV Charlotte Bee Marie's Blog: http://little-rabbit-on-the-prairie.blogspot.com/

Little Visitors Swap
Superhero & Comic Fan Swap
Fabric Printing Swap
donniesgirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013 08:52:23 PM »

My son is about the same age. Smiley Great ideas here. One sewing suggestion would be vests. Like maybe some fake suede/moleskin. Embellished with fringe maybe. Same for the pirate - you could do some kind of vest. Plus it's a good age for practicing putting clothes on and off.  Hats are always another fun accessory. My son loves his $4 foam sword from hobby lobby but if you go with weapons like that, try to consider what can inflict the least damage. Not just from the hitting in the head perspective, but also knocking things off tables/counters.

My son likes dinosaurs too and there are some cute tutes out there on attachable dinosaur tails.

I will say that paranoid me probably would not be comfortable giving him a sash just yet as it is a choking hazard.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elizabeth.grace
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013 06:51:05 AM »

I don't have any ideas, but I just wanted you to know what a fun idea this is!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Glittered Pinecone Gift Topper
How to Make Graham Cracker Gingerbread Cottages
How to Make a Holiday Photo Card Ornament
How to Make Christmas Gift Card Holder Ornaments
How to Make Lanterns Out of Jam Jars
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...