A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,874
Currently Running With Scissors:
638 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Seafoam green, pink roses, and emblem cake  (Read 1016 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Rachelslittlethings
Professional Make-Up Arist and Miniature Sculptor

View Profile WWW
« on: October 21, 2012 06:51:38 PM »

My latest mini cake. About 2 1/2 inches high. Gonna give this one to a friend for her birthday. Her name starts with a "K". Totally not my design. I saw the cake below and switched the colors and flower design a bit. Her favorite colors are seafoam green and pink.

A few new techniques used on this. I did a spackling technique with liquid polymer and bits of clay mixed to match the seafoam shade. Then I spread it on and "paved" it I guess to make it smooth an even. Sometimes the tiers and bases need some perfecting and when I try to rub it the tiers get all lumpy and uneven. There's actually a crack on the back between tier 3 and 4 that I tried to spackle and when baking the crack ended up showing through Sad And making that gathered ribbon effect didn't turn out quite as I wanted. I used a rubber Kemper tool I had from my special effects makeup class to get the little lines.

This is also my first time trying out Pluffy clay by Sculpey. I heard it's great for flowers since it's so lightweight. It's really awesome and instead of baking the flowers and painting them afterwards with acrylic, I just dusted the tips or the entire flower with chalk pastels. I did a variety and pink, pink orange, pink purple, and green yellow for the leaves. Such an awesome effect and it looks to realistic and gives them that multidimensional gradient effect.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2012 06:56:57 PM by Rachelslittlethings » THIS ROCKS   Logged

beautifulpirate
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012 07:06:17 PM »

Very lovely. Despite the mistakes that you mentioned, I think you did really good on it. With the gathering of ribbon, could you not have made a uniform length of clay and rolled it out super thin, especially at the edges that gather and gather it just like actual ribbon would be to give it a better effect? Just a thought. Also what did you use for the quilted effect? It looks like a blade but I was thinking it might look really cool, if you made each tier separately, if you used some fine thread to create the quilted look by indenting it with the thread instead of cutting a line into it.

I love the look of the flowers. the dusting with chalk pastels is my favorite for roses. I think it offers the most realism.

It's also funny that you took a special FX makeup artist since that is what I am! lol, makeup and clay! We must be twinkies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Buy my stuff!!!:
http://www.kawaiibuddies.com

Follow me on facebook for exclusive discounts and giveaways:
https://www.facebook.com/KawaiiBuddies

Check out my makeup page on facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/visageFX

Capt'n Candy (the beautiful pirate)
Rachelslittlethings

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012 07:42:18 PM »

For the quilted effect I use the dull side of a blade and press into it. Yeah I also tried that technique with making the clay super thin but it kept falling apart. I'm gonna test some other techniques out. The thread idea is cool but holding it taut may be difficult. There's a bunch of things I could have used now that I think about it, I was making it in a hurry. Flowers are my favorite thing to do and Pluffy with pastel colors are amazing. Can't wait to make more.

Yeah, I actually use most of my special effects makeup tools for my clay projects now. Plus, my knowledge on mold making and prosthetics made crafting much easier.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftergirly
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012 10:12:25 AM »

Cool, How do you make that? Any video or tutorial you'd suggest for a newbie? (me)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rachelslittlethings

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012 01:47:00 PM »

How do I make the entire thing? That's lots of questions Wink

Well, I don't know of any tutorials, but I find the picture of the cake that I like or whatever the item is, and I shrink it down on my computer. I either measure the screen or print it out and measure the dimensions of each tier by millimeter. Then I use my pasta machine to layer slabs of clay until each tier is the correct height. Then I cut and shape them into circles or whatever shape they need to be. Then I roll out thin layers of the pretty outer layer of clay in my pasta machine and wrap the tiers much like fondant. I bond them together with liquid polymer, stack them, and usually push a piece of wire through it for additional strength. Next I detail each tier accordingly. This takes a great deal of time. After it's complete I bake it for the appropriate amount of time in my polymer oven.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you have Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fold an Origami Orchid
How to Fold an Origami Lily Flower
How to Fold an Origami Bunny Rabbit
How to Fold an Origami Butterfly
How to Fold an Origami Cherry Blossom
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Super Easy Peppermint Bark
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...