A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,804
Currently Running With Scissors:
497 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I am NEW NEW NEW to this site and to glass crafts...help all around please!  (Read 713 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ackerman
« on: October 21, 2012 11:10:46 AM »

Hey there! This is my first post, so be patient with me. I found this site after stumbling upon this little gem http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=407991.0 while googling guitar mosaics. A friend has asked me to make one for her but I have never done a mosaic before so I really don't know where to start.

1) I love the texture of the glass used on that guitar! Where do I find glass like that? Do I make it? I have a microwave kiln (which I've never used), but I have access to better kilns too. I wouldn't know where to begin with making it, so I'd need some basic directions or for someone to provide me with resources. I don't want to use just the small, plain tiles.

2) Do I need to stick my glass directly onto the guitar or is there some other sheet that the glass goes onto and then the sheet gets adheared to the guitar? Like I said, I've never done a mosaic before so this is probably a dumb question...

3) I have a design already. What's the best way to bring it to life? Should I eyeball it? Color the guitar with marker first so I know where to put color glass pieces? Any tips will help!

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this and for any advice you're able to give me! Oh, and just to clear things up, I'm not trying to copy the guitar linked above. I already had a design for one in mind, found that one and loved the style of it and the glass and since it came from this site I thought I could get some useful tips here on how to create a guitar mosaic not that guitar mosaic   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have Asperger's so I'm sorry if I seem rude or unhelpful. I get kicked off a lot of forums because I seem rude but I'm not trying to be. I'm apologizing in advance.
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012 11:35:57 AM »

Hi and welcome to Craftster and in particular the glass boards! Smiley

If you have never done a mosaic I recommend you check out our tutorials here. Check the ones that are specific to mosaics, and that should give you some basics. I would recommend doing a couple of small test mosaics. Just till you get a feel for the medium.

1) Glass is purchased either online or in a brick and mortar glass shop. You can purchase all kinds of glass; in colors, sizes, textures and types. For mosaics especially beginning you do not need to buy the expensive glass. Some places you can even buy it pre-cut.

2) The glass should be glued to the guitar, unless your design includes the paper behind. If you do the glass on the guitar I recommend sealing the guitar with something before hand, to keep it from warping.

3) When applying your design some people draw it out, and some go from the flow of the mosaic. It just depends on how you like to work. I've done both and it depends on the project and how I want it to turn out.

Good luck and make sure you do some trial and error before jumping into your guitar. And let us know if you have any other questions. Smiley Oh! And post pics of your project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ackerman
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012 12:45:58 PM »

HSG thanks for the reply and suggestions! I'm planning on getting started on a few small mosaics this week just to get familiar with the whole process on a smaller scale. Are there any online shops that you recommend for purchasing glass? Also, what do you recommend for glass nippers? A friend recommended Leponitt Wheeled Nippers....do you have any feedback on those?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012 12:55:43 PM by ackerman » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have Asperger's so I'm sorry if I seem rude or unhelpful. I get kicked off a lot of forums because I seem rude but I'm not trying to be. I'm apologizing in advance.
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012 01:02:24 PM »

Lepponits are supposed to be the best, but I do not own a pair. I have the cheaper ones from online and a really cheap pair from Harbor Freight.

For glass shops online I recommend:
http://www.tinytilemosaics.com/index.html
http://www.glasscrafters.biz
http://www.witsendmosaic.com/

And there is a whole list hereSmiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hilary Rhoda Models the Best of Fall 2013
Beyoncé: Behind the Scenes
When Fashion Attacks: Doutzen Kroes
The Shape of the Season for Fall 2012
Behind-the-Scenes with Tommy Ton: Chic in the Street
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...