A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 299,175
Currently Running With Scissors:
517 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Newbie with a joining problem :)  (Read 963 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MerryGlas
« on: October 19, 2012 07:55:20 AM »

Hello! I'm new to amigurumi (well, pretty new to crochet in general!) and I've got myself stuck in a rut trying to work something out. Hoping someone can help!

Ok, my problem is in joining rounds - a) Is there a general rule as to whether you join with a slip-stitch and a chain or just keep spiralling around using markers to show each new round? I've seen patterns that say both Smiley But if a pattern doesn't mention it...which do I do?

b) If I join with a slipstitch and chain, do I work the first stitch of the round into the same stitch as the chain or the next one along? (This is really where I've got confused!)

c) I realised last night that the piece I'd been working on with the no-join spiral technique was turning into a hexagon instead of a circle! <Sigh> How did I manage this?!

Help, please... Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012 08:05:02 AM »

I don't do a lot of amigurumi, but I think I can help.

a) I don't think there's a general rule - the pattern should specify whether or not it's a spiral or distinct rounds.  If it doesn't, you could ask the designer... although, I think if it was distinct rounds, there should be a turning chain in the instructions for each round.

b) the standard for single crochet stitches is that the chain does not count as a stitch and so you work the first sc into the same stitch as the chain.  Opinions differ on whether or not a hdc turning chain counts as a stitch.  The standard is that, for all taller stitches, the turning chain counts as a stitch, and so the first actual stitch would be worked into the second stitch of the next round or row.

c) the way to get a circle rather than a hexagon when working sc in the round is to be sure not to stack the increases of each round on top of the ones of the previous rounds.  The increases need to still be evenly spaced, but after the third round or so, they needn't be right on top of where you did them before. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MerryGlas
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012 09:02:23 AM »

That was quick  Smiley thanks! You see all that makes sense now, it's amazing how confusing things can be when you just keep going over and over them! I'll get back to the pattern and try again...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Komekoro
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013 02:10:19 PM »

I always work in a spiral unless the pattern specifies otherwise. I find this a lot easier and neater looking (I crochet really tightly, so I always end up with holes in my pattern where I join rounds if I don't use the spiral method.). Really, though, it is whatever works best for you if there is no specification!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mama24boyz
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013 02:16:53 PM »

I don't join either and your circle will look like a hexagon with the increases, just like fantasticmio said.  If you stagger the increases, so they're not on top of eachother it won't look like a hexagon, butttt, if you haven't done that, don't worry, it will still work out in the end.  Also, with amigurumi, you rarely ever turn.  In fact, I've never heard of a pattern having turn in it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I absolutely love love quilts, do you think an afghan is a fair trade for a quilt? I'd love to swap!
Etsy
Pinterest
Mamas Creations on Facebook
StyleOnAStick
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014 02:47:58 PM »

Really, though, it is whatever works best for you if there is no specification!

That was one of the hardest lessons for me to learn. A lot of times, even if it specifies joining rounds, I'll work in a spiral pattern. Whenever I join rounds, the count is off or it doesn't look right.  Try both and see what works for you and your style!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014 02:48:24 PM by StyleOnAStick » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Chocolate-Coconut Bars
The Secret to Making Royal Icing
How to Make Chocolate Truffle Baubles
Chocolate Biscuit Cake Pudding Recipe
The Breakfast Cookie for Oatmeal Lovers
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...