A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,381
Currently Running With Scissors:
575 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Silent Hill Nurse Costume!  (Read 1316 times)
Tags for this thread: silent_hill , silent_hill_nurse , nurse , creepy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RENTHead_351
« on: October 18, 2012 03:07:32 PM »

Hey guys! Long time no craft!

I decided this year I wanted my Halloween costume to be awesome. So! I decided to make a Silent Hill nurse costume! I fell in love with the costume designs when I first saw the movie (can you blame me?! They rock!) I've been working on it on and off for the past two months, and all in all, I think it looks okay! I used a few Instructables tutorials, as well as pictures online as reference, and a lot of it was very by the seat of my pants when things didn't go how I wanted Wink Please forgive the current quality of pictures; I'll post better ones after I have a photoshoot with a friend sometime next week  Roll Eyes

The costume!

Mask

I used plaster strips from Michael's. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND. Hardens super fast, malleable, SUCH a pleasure to work with and cheap!

Back of the mask. It's pretty much a helmet on my head, but there is a tiny concealed nose hole, plus it's lifted a bit off my face so I CAN breathe okay! Not perfect, but I can survive!

If anyone is interested in learning about how I did it/links to sites I used, please don't hesitate to ask! I'm very proud of it Roll Eyes I know it's not perfectly like the game/movie version, but it's close enough for me! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MaxParadise
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012 04:26:36 PM »

You know, I'm not a big fan of the game or movie, but I DO love that costume! And yours looks awesome =) I think you did a great job! I didn't know they had plaster strips at Michaels; I'm thinking it's the same kind of stuff I used to make a mold of my belly when I was preggo, lol! If so, then yes, that stuff is definitely easy to use. I'm interested on how you molded it to fit your head/face? In the last pic it looks like the mask is sitting in a foam head...is that what you laid the plaster strips on? Again, nice job =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And your scared to death that you are never going to come alive.

http://www.pintrest.com/dheartst
RENTHead_351
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012 05:00:57 PM »

Thank you! Yes, I was surprised Michael's had them too! Even the woman who worked there that I asked didn't know they had them, but I scoped them out!

I had two mask "prototypes"; one was newspaper+mache which I lay on the foam mask, which had been wrapped in plastic wrap, but it was too small for my head. The second was newspaper and toilet paper+mache built on the foam head but not around, but that one got moldy (SO much yuck! It turned green and fuzzy and I almost threw up.) So then I gave up and bought the strips  Roll Eyes The front of the mask is built off of a cheap dollar store mask, laid onto the foam head to keep it in place. It took a lot of trial and error to get it to the size I wanted! I'd wait for it to dry, then check how it looked on me so I'd know where to add extra padding. But I am definitely appreciative of the dollar store mask because it keeps the plaster off my face! It was also a lot of help to figure out where my nose, eyes, etc. would be. Then when that was totally dry, I put a plastic bag on my head with holes cut out with the mask over that on my face and my lovely boyfriend then wrapped the back of my head with the first layer of plaster. I kept it on until it dried a little then took it off so I could finish the rest (and breathe properly!) I hope that makes sense! The mask took the most trial-and-error.

It's a little difficult to get on and off; I don't think anyone else could wear it properly because it is fitted to my head and face. But I wanted it snug because I didn't want my head to be shifting everywhere seeing as I may be attending a concert or two in full Silent Hill garb Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MaxParadise
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012 11:51:12 AM »

thanks for the info! i love the idea of building off of a cheapie, plastic mask =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And your scared to death that you are never going to come alive.

http://www.pintrest.com/dheartst
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Allure’s April 2014 Anti-Aging Issue
This Inspiring Video Shows That Makeup Has an Empowering Effect on Women
How to Get The Perfect Spray Tan at Home
5 Beauty Tips and Trends for Prom
One-Stop Shop for the Best in Beauty
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...