A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,586
Currently Running With Scissors:
514 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Spots on fabric after washing it  (Read 805 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

canamharris
« on: October 18, 2012 01:27:21 PM »

I'm a pre-washer of fabrics. Its what my Grandma taught me to do. The other day I came home with some cheap green broadcloth to use on my son's dinosaur costume for Halloween. I threw it in the wash like normal. Today I went to cut into it and noticed that there are spots all over it now! It looks like oil stains but I doubt its oil. (I haven't washed anything oiley in my washer lately and have recently cleaned the sucker too!)

It seems like this has been happening to me lately and I don't know why!! Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012 02:55:15 PM »

I can't help you with your washing issue, but spots on a dinosaur would look very authentic for your son's costume.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
judykudy
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012 04:25:37 PM »

the only thing i can think of would be....is there a tube of chapstick or lip palm in the washer or dryer??
my daughter was good for leaving them in her pants pockets when she was a teenager and she did
here OWN laundry so she ruined MANY things back then.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
canamharris
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012 04:34:25 PM »

the only thing i can think of would be....is there a tube of chapstick or lip palm in the washer or dryer??
my daughter was good for leaving them in her pants pockets when she was a teenager and she did
here OWN laundry so she ruined MANY things back then.....

haven't washed any chapstick on accident recently. We only moved into this house a month and a half ago. But when we moved in I gave the washer a a really good wash.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why this happens periodically! (and usually to fabric that is a solid color)

Thankfully this fabric was just for the tail of his costume and your right, spots on a dino tail are ok!! (but I don't know what I'll do with the remaining .5 mtrs that have spots and were just for my stash!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012 12:27:24 PM »

You have to determine whether it's coming from the washer or the dryer. Washing machines can in fact leak motor fluid at times, in which case you might have a repair to do. If the culprit is fabric softener, you might want to switch brands. Not all washers are created equal, so maybe the washer you use now can't handle the brand you use. If it's the dryer, you might have something invisible stuck to the drum - could be anything in there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

3rdGenCrafter
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012 01:30:23 PM »

I know this happens to dress shirts when I use a bit too much detergent and the spots are actually soap stains.  Did you try washing it again? That worked for me! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rarely do well behaved women make history.
-Maryland Monroe
steiconi
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012 07:39:32 PM »

I had a similar problem when my washer was dying.  Something developed a crack and leaked oil on the clothes.  We finally replaced the washer, but maybe yours could be repaired...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Spring Daisy Chain
How to Make a Tutu
How to Make a Weight Loss Scrapbook
How to Make a Woven Vase Out of a Soda Bottle
How to Make a Tissue-Box Cover
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...