A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,544
Currently Running With Scissors:
525 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mens Hypnotoad tshirt recon and bonus girls dress to skirt  (Read 2142 times)
Tags for this thread: reconstructed , clothing_challenge_4_upsize_it  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sxyskeksis
« on: October 17, 2012 09:33:31 PM »

I have been researching and sketching ideas for upsizing tshirts for a very long time. I even have boxes of shirts waiting to be made big enough to be worn. I also just bought a book to learn more about my serger. This challenge was the impetus I needed.

Introducing my Bonkee (this is our mutual term of endearment... it's a long story) in a shirt that, like many others, is way too tight on him.

He has lots of these awesome tshirts from sizes gone by. It's hard to find fun shirts in a 4-5X and even shirts that do fit tend to do this!

So I took another shirt that was too small for him and had holes all over but he refused to part with (why do men get so emotionally attached to their clothing?) and chopped them both up into a FRANKENSHIRT!! And doesn't he look dapper?

It's hard to see here but Hypnotoads eyes are very close in color to the tiedye.

Like a lot of fun shirts the hypnotoad shirt had twisted significantly. I laid my clear ruler straight across the words and used my ruled cutting pad to cut it into a straight rectangle. I then cut off the arms and down the remaining seams.

For the tiedye I had to deal with a large hole and a handfull of smaller ones. I put a safety pin at every hole on the same side of the fabric so that I could easily see where they all were while I planned out how to chop it up.

Deciding how to cut these up was really really hard for my OCD brain. Finally I just dived in. I must have done something right because I ended up with very little scrap and NO large pieces. I sewed everything with the serger. I left the neckline and the bottom hem as serged edges (I moved the cutting blade and let the extra fabric roll over to give a rolled hem type finish without changing my serger settings). This isn't very professional looking but neither my Bonkee nor I care. And I didn't have enough fabric left to make a neckline without lots of piecing. I actually reused the hems from the arms to become the new arm hems! That worked OK but again, not professional looking.

I loved:
That I finished it!!!
The fact that the swirls on the front two pieces match up.
Proof of concept for male tshirt alterations. Sewing for men can be difficult and this has been in my head for a while. It's great to see that it works!!

Next time:
Alter the shirt pattern to fit him better around the shoulders.
Use 3 shirts or 1 shirt and fabric. Even 2 3X shirts barely had enough to make this one and it was rough planning it out.
I should have cut the shirt close to the edge of hypnotoad vertically to make the close top horizontal cut look better. I really wish shirt printers would realize they have to position the shirt differently on the platter to screen print large sizes. The image also ends up way up by the neckline and looks weird.
Try a real neck binding.

BONUS
My daughters wanted in on the action too! Unfortunately my eldest had too much homework (Freshman year of highschool is a toughie!!) but we plan to finish hers soon. So I helped my 9 year old alter this dress which she refused to stop wearing for the past 3 years at least, even during the summer. I forgot to note the size but those arms are at least 4 inches too short. I'm guessing a 5?

I showed her how to do things and I did the machine sewing because it was stretch velvet which is painful to sew even without a big organza skirt attached to it and my Singer 99K is FAST. She picked the seams to detach the zipper, and cut the bodice off just under the arms. After turning that under and sewing to form a casing I had her run the elastic and finish it up. And now, a still somewhat too short skirt that she will probably wear until she busts the seams!!

We hope you like our projects! If you want more information ask away!!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012 10:21:58 PM by sxyskeksis » THIS ROCKS   Logged
meowari
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012 04:47:20 AM »

I think it turned out really good! I didn't notice the "unprofessional" hems until you mentioned them, and even then, I had to look really hard. The colours and fabric pieces come together really nicely. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012 07:48:30 AM »

Awesome! Futurama + Tie-Dye? Are you sure you didn't make this shirt for me? lol. I love they way it came out. Great job!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sxyskeksis
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012 04:52:37 PM »

Thanks everyone! The colors look even better in person. I'm not much of a photographer. You can see the serged hems more in person, but it looks fine. He wore it over a long sleeved shirt today and it looked great!!

I'm really excited to do more and improve on the placement of the design. I also have tons of shirts I need to make more girly for myself. YAY for sergers!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
j_en

Just stumbling through and trying my best.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012 09:49:24 PM »

I have always loved asymmetrical designs and I like the final effect of having the hypnotoad off-centre. I bet he was happy to get that shirt back into the frequent-wear side of his wardrobe!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen
Taramor
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012 06:35:33 AM »

What a great idea - I must try it with my DH's t-shirt (or my own ... Cheesy). And it is great, you teach your daugther to sew. She did a fine job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sxyskeksis
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012 12:09:29 AM »

je_n> With the asymmetry I was hoping to make the design from the tshirt look like it was integrated into the final shirt, rather than a design from a too small shirt slapped in the middle of a bigger tshirt like a patch. I'm pretty happy with the results and I'm really glad to hear that you liked that aspect!! I hate that it's cut just above his head (because the design was SO close to the neckline) and then far away on the other three sides but that's something I can easily solve for the next time.

He is SO happy to have 2 beloved shirts back that I'm going to have to steal it to wash it!

Taramor> If you try it please post a link to your project or post a picture here. I'd LOVE to see what others can come up with. Sewing for men is always so difficult and sometimes boring.

My daughter is SO excited about this skirt! I was really impressed with how attentive she was. She tends to be on the flighty side, if you can't tell from the picture.  Smiley  I'll send on your compliments and I'm sure she will be tickled pink. I hope to make time next weekend to do the project with my older daughter.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012 12:10:26 AM by sxyskeksis » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Basic Adobe After Effects CS4 Tutorial
How to UVW Map and Texture - 3ds Max Part 1/2
How to Play Video In Reverse - Sony Vegas
Basics of Modeling - 3ds Max
How to Add a Watermark to Video - Sony Vegas Pro
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...