A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,480
Currently Running With Scissors:
381 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 4-H ATC Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 3544 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

leather and lace

I'm too 'XC' for my spikes!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 17, 2012 08:13:08 PM »

Hello, everyone!

So, I am a member of our local 4-H program here in Iowa. For those of you who don't know, 4-H is an organization for kids 4th grade to high school seniors with the goal to help young adults become active leaders in their 4-H clubs, communities, countries, and world who are able to step up to the challenges life throws at us (More info here if you're interested: http://www.4-h.org/about/)

As a part of my Visual Arts project I was hoping to do an ATC workshop to teach kids about the creating and trading process of artist trading cards.

My idea is this: Get a group of kids together and teach them the basics of ATCs, from various techniques to the trading process, let them get creative and make a few cards, and then trade their cards with crafters to give them a taste of collecting.

My question is, would anyone be interested in trading with these kids? This idea is completely in the planning stage right now, I still need to okay it with my youth director and Craftster, but I'd like to see if there is any interest before I start setting anything up. For security purposes, since these kids can be as young as 4th graders, I was planning on having each Craftster make one card and send them to me to distribute to the kids, then I would send the kids' cards to their partner. I don't know if Craftster's ATC swap policy would allow this, but as I said, its only an idea right now. Then hopefully I could set up a thread the kids could visit to see their recipients' feedback on their cards, and hopefully get them enthusiastic about creating art not only for themselves, but for others to share.

As of right now, I think it would be easiest for everyone involved to make generic cards, but I might possibly be able to set it up so that each kid and crafter could have two or three themes to work with.

The point of all this would be at once helping me gain leadership skills and experience in the Visual Arts project area, as well as giving others a chance to share their artistic abilities with others. I hope you guys are interested!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012 11:56:45 AM by leather and lace » THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2013 2/50
2013 Art Journal-along

LV Charlotte Bee Marie's Blog: http://little-rabbit-on-the-prairie.blogspot.com/

Little Visitors Swap
Superhero & Comic Fan Swap
Fabric Printing Swap
Bakeneko
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012 05:21:51 PM »

I will help! I was active in 4-H all the way up to the national level. Just tell me what you need.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leather and lace

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012 06:39:20 PM »

Thank you so much, I really appreciate that! I still need to set everything up so it may be a month or two before I have anything for you to do, but I will be sure to keep you updated!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2013 2/50
2013 Art Journal-along

LV Charlotte Bee Marie's Blog: http://little-rabbit-on-the-prairie.blogspot.com/

Little Visitors Swap
Fabric Printing Swap
Bakeneko
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012 08:55:07 AM »

Just PM me Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stefanib123
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012 11:58:23 AM »

I would love to help! Although I haven't been here long enough to do swaps yet, I will be by the time you get it together.

I think its very important to give kids a creative outlet. I would have LOVED to have found ATCs as a kid!

Also,if you need any supplies for this,I may can help you. I have a decent stash! Smiley

Pm your addy and what you need if so!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Robinpich

What an honor to be a "Best of" winner.........

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012 08:18:15 PM »

I'd be willing to help out also.  Also, I have a few ATCs I've received from other swaps (not here of course, heehee) that I'd be willing to "donate".  You might want them just as examples for the kids.  Or some of the kids might want to keep them, but either way, you are more than welcome to them.  If you'll PM me your address, I'll get them in the mail.

Keep me posted................
Robin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will personal swap for ATCs (fabric or paper), Teesha Moore poptarts/pillows and most any kind of embroidery- PM me
Blog
dreadlady

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012 04:28:51 PM »

Yes!  I want to!!!!!  And I LOVE seeing other craftsters from Iowa!!  woot woot!!  I live in Okoboji
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/dreadlady/

ATC ADDICT
Want to swap ATC's?  huh, huh, do ya?
leather and lace

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012 12:14:16 PM »

http://www.fileden.com/files/2012/11/4/3363672/ATC%20Workshop%20Flyer.docx

If this shows up, it's the flyer I'm handing out to interested 4-Hers. It just explains a bit about ATCs and the workshop, and will eventually give the date and signup deadline.

If it gives you the option to open in Microsoft Word, it should show you the actual version. The Fileden version has the same info but without the fancy lettering.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012 01:04:50 PM by leather and lace » THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2013 2/50
2013 Art Journal-along

Little Visitors Swap
Fabric Printing Swap
Robinpich

What an honor to be a "Best of" winner.........

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012 05:28:13 PM »

The flyer looks great.  I'm getting supplies together tonight.  Will mail first of the week.
Robin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will personal swap for ATCs (fabric or paper), Teesha Moore poptarts/pillows and most any kind of embroidery- PM me
Blog
stefanib123
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012 06:13:03 PM »

I'm on my Kindle right now, and it wont open the flyer, but I will check it out when I get home tonight.

I've been working on some ATCs for this, and for you. For the kids, I'm trying to use themes they can relate to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Corn Maque Choux
Apple and Ham Eggs Benedict Recipe
The Missing Black Chefs
How to Make Authentic Texas BBQ
Fantastic Gluten Free Corn Hot Cakes
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...