A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 298,766
Currently Running With Scissors:
604 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 4-H ATC Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 3915 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

leather and lace

I'm too 'XC' for my spikes!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 17, 2012 08:13:08 PM »

Hello, everyone!

So, I am a member of our local 4-H program here in Iowa. For those of you who don't know, 4-H is an organization for kids 4th grade to high school seniors with the goal to help young adults become active leaders in their 4-H clubs, communities, countries, and world who are able to step up to the challenges life throws at us (More info here if you're interested: http://www.4-h.org/about/)

As a part of my Visual Arts project I was hoping to do an ATC workshop to teach kids about the creating and trading process of artist trading cards.

My idea is this: Get a group of kids together and teach them the basics of ATCs, from various techniques to the trading process, let them get creative and make a few cards, and then trade their cards with crafters to give them a taste of collecting.

My question is, would anyone be interested in trading with these kids? This idea is completely in the planning stage right now, I still need to okay it with my youth director and Craftster, but I'd like to see if there is any interest before I start setting anything up. For security purposes, since these kids can be as young as 4th graders, I was planning on having each Craftster make one card and send them to me to distribute to the kids, then I would send the kids' cards to their partner. I don't know if Craftster's ATC swap policy would allow this, but as I said, its only an idea right now. Then hopefully I could set up a thread the kids could visit to see their recipients' feedback on their cards, and hopefully get them enthusiastic about creating art not only for themselves, but for others to share.

As of right now, I think it would be easiest for everyone involved to make generic cards, but I might possibly be able to set it up so that each kid and crafter could have two or three themes to work with.

The point of all this would be at once helping me gain leadership skills and experience in the Visual Arts project area, as well as giving others a chance to share their artistic abilities with others. I hope you guys are interested!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012 11:56:45 AM by leather and lace » THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2013 2/50
2013 Art Journal-along

LV Charlotte Bee Marie's Blog: http://little-rabbit-on-the-prairie.blogspot.com/

Little Visitors Swap
Superhero & Comic Fan Swap
Fabric Printing Swap
Bakeneko
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012 05:21:51 PM »

I will help! I was active in 4-H all the way up to the national level. Just tell me what you need.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leather and lace

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012 06:39:20 PM »

Thank you so much, I really appreciate that! I still need to set everything up so it may be a month or two before I have anything for you to do, but I will be sure to keep you updated!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2013 2/50
2013 Art Journal-along

LV Charlotte Bee Marie's Blog: http://little-rabbit-on-the-prairie.blogspot.com/

Little Visitors Swap
Fabric Printing Swap
Bakeneko
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012 08:55:07 AM »

Just PM me Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stefanib123
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012 11:58:23 AM »

I would love to help! Although I haven't been here long enough to do swaps yet, I will be by the time you get it together.

I think its very important to give kids a creative outlet. I would have LOVED to have found ATCs as a kid!

Also,if you need any supplies for this,I may can help you. I have a decent stash! Smiley

Pm your addy and what you need if so!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Robinpich

What an honor to be a "Best of" winner.........

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012 08:18:15 PM »

I'd be willing to help out also.  Also, I have a few ATCs I've received from other swaps (not here of course, heehee) that I'd be willing to "donate".  You might want them just as examples for the kids.  Or some of the kids might want to keep them, but either way, you are more than welcome to them.  If you'll PM me your address, I'll get them in the mail.

Keep me posted................
Robin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will personal swap for ATCs (fabric or paper), Teesha Moore poptarts/pillows and most any kind of embroidery- PM me
Blog
dreadlady

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012 04:28:51 PM »

Yes!  I want to!!!!!  And I LOVE seeing other craftsters from Iowa!!  woot woot!!  I live in Okoboji
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/dreadlady/

ATC ADDICT
Want to swap ATC's?  huh, huh, do ya?
leather and lace

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012 12:14:16 PM »

http://www.fileden.com/files/2012/11/4/3363672/ATC%20Workshop%20Flyer.docx

If this shows up, it's the flyer I'm handing out to interested 4-Hers. It just explains a bit about ATCs and the workshop, and will eventually give the date and signup deadline.

If it gives you the option to open in Microsoft Word, it should show you the actual version. The Fileden version has the same info but without the fancy lettering.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012 01:04:50 PM by leather and lace » THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2013 2/50
2013 Art Journal-along

Little Visitors Swap
Fabric Printing Swap
Robinpich

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012 05:28:13 PM »

The flyer looks great.  I'm getting supplies together tonight.  Will mail first of the week.
Robin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will personal swap for ATCs (fabric or paper), Teesha Moore poptarts/pillows and most any kind of embroidery- PM me
Blog
stefanib123
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012 06:13:03 PM »

I'm on my Kindle right now, and it wont open the flyer, but I will check it out when I get home tonight.

I've been working on some ATCs for this, and for you. For the kids, I'm trying to use themes they can relate to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leather and lace

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012 07:57:51 AM »

I've been working on some ATCs for this, and for you. For the kids, I'm trying to use themes they can relate to.

Thank you! And that's the great thing about 4-H; it's so diverse that probably anything you could make would be appreciated by someone.

I'm currently playing phone tag with Lind (the youth coordinator) but I left a message that I would be available right after school today so hopefully I'll have a date tomorrow, if not later today

THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2013 2/50
2013 Art Journal-along

Little Visitors Swap
Fabric Printing Swap
Bakeneko
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012 08:44:55 AM »

leather and lace

So I noticed that other people are sending stuff.

Do you need more stuff? What stuff do you need?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Robinpich

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012 09:22:04 AM »

Dropped ATCs and a few supplies in the mail yesterday.............. hope they are useful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog
leather and lace

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012 10:02:05 AM »

Dropped ATCs and a few supplies in the mail yesterday.............. hope they are useful!

Oh no, Robin, I don't need anymore supplies. Said no craftster ever. Tongue I'm actually very grateful; everything you guys send will be well used as references and materials; my stash is ridiculously small, and so is my ATC collection, though both are growing Smiley

leather and lace

So I noticed that other people are sending stuff.

Do you need more stuff? What stuff do you need?

That's totally up to you. Feel free to send anything you think we could use, or if you'd like I could post a list of things I need after I receive Robin and stefanib's packages
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2013 2/50
2013 Art Journal-along

Little Visitors Swap
Fabric Printing Swap
leather and lace

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012 10:43:17 PM »

YAY! I spoke with Linda today, and WE HAVE A DATE! This shindig is going down January 2 (of 2013 ooooo Smiley ) Unfortunately, I can't get you any themes to work with, because Linda doesn't want me to have signups that have to be turned in ahead of time, but I can guarantee that there will be a limit of 12 4-Hers

So, I had hoped to send each participant 3 cards: one made by me and two from you guys. If you could each create six cards, it would be greatly appreciated. (If you think that that is too much, just PM me and I'll figure something else out). They need to be fairly universal, and of course appropriate for an audience 16 & under. They don't have to be super fancy, but as a general guideline, imagine what your ideal first ATC would look like Smiley.

Also, I had a thought that each of you could give me two themes for the kids to work with, in addition to an artist's choice, just in case they have a hard time fitting into a theme, so that we can try and simulate an actual Craftster swap as close as possible. What do you think?

If you could have your six cards sent out by December 15th at the latest I think that would be best, just to try and avoid getting stuck in the Christmas mail.

Robin, I received your package, too. Thanks so much for all the supplies and the ATCs. They will  be very helpful in demonstrating different types, especially the one made on a playing card.

AGAIN, thank you all so much for your help, I couldn't do it without you!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2013 2/50
2013 Art Journal-along

Little Visitors Swap
Fabric Printing Swap
Robinpich

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2012 04:49:45 PM »

I can handle 6 cards by then.  Will there be boys and girls?  just didn't want to send all pink and fluff and a boy get stuck with it unless he wanted pink and fluff, hahaaaa...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog
Bakeneko
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012 07:16:31 AM »

Let the crafting begin!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leather and lace

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2012 07:49:12 AM »

I can handle 6 cards by then.  Will there be boys and girls?  just didn't want to send all pink and fluff and a boy get stuck with it unless he wanted pink and fluff, hahaaaa...

That's the unfortunate thing, I can't really tell you who will sign up, but if I had to guess, I would say there will be more girls than boys. I'd say try to make at least 2/6 boy friendly, just to be safe, though.

Let the crafting begin!

YAY! I can't wait, this is going to be so much fun!!

I think we should organize that personal swap to celebrate afterwards, then I can send you pictures of the kids so you can see how much fun they had!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2013 2/50
2013 Art Journal-along

Little Visitors Swap
Fabric Printing Swap
leather and lace

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012 02:25:39 PM »

Hi everyone! I thought that since December has begun I better check in with you all and see how the crafting is going. Here is our "ad" in the December 4-H newsletter:

A kind of sad rendition of my flyer, but I suppose Sad

I'd just like to remind you that the send date is the 15th, ABSOLUTELY no later than the 20th if it can be helped, and that each of you agreed to six cards and a sheet of your tips and tricks.

We have 27 days until the big day, so it's very important to check in and keep everyone updated as it gets closer!

Thanks everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2013 2/50
2013 Art Journal-along

Little Visitors Swap
Fabric Printing Swap
Robinpich

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012 04:05:50 AM »

Thanks for the reminder!!! I have a couple of cards done, but have had my parents visiting for almost a week!   (they have gone home now, love to see them come, love to see them go, hahaaaa)
ATC's will be in the mail by the deadline date to ya!

Can't wait to see all the ATCs you receive from us Craftsters.......will you post a photo of all you receive?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog
Bakeneko
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2012 05:49:11 PM »

I am here and crafting. Should be able to send on time
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leather and lace

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2012 06:30:36 PM »

Thanks for the reminder!!! I have a couple of cards done, but have had my parents visiting for almost a week!   (they have gone home now, love to see them come, love to see them go, hahaaaa)
ATC's will be in the mail by the deadline date to ya!

Can't wait to see all the ATCs you receive from us Craftsters.......will you post a photo of all you receive?

I am here and crafting. Should be able to send on time

Awesome, good to hear everything is going well. And yes, I will definitely post pics of the cards, supplies, and action shots of the workshop.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2013 2/50
2013 Art Journal-along

Little Visitors Swap
Fabric Printing Swap
leather and lace

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2012 09:13:51 AM »

Hi there! I'd like to remind you all once again that the deadline is the 15th. Message me ASAP if you can't make this happen and we'll make a plan.  21 days until the workshop! I'm so excited!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2013 2/50
2013 Art Journal-along

Little Visitors Swap
Fabric Printing Swap
Bakeneko
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2012 09:49:10 AM »

I sent yesterday  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dreadlady

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2012 10:21:05 AM »

my cards were sent!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/dreadlady/

ATC ADDICT
Want to swap ATC's?  huh, huh, do ya?
leather and lace

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2012 11:11:31 AM »

I sent yesterday  Smiley
my cards were sent!!

Yay, glad to hear it! I'll be posting my PowerPoint soon an other stuff that will be at the workshop, as well as pics of everything I get as soon as I get it! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2013 2/50
2013 Art Journal-along

Little Visitors Swap
Fabric Printing Swap
leather and lace

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2012 06:40:38 PM »

Yay, I received two packages today, from Bakeneko and Robinpich! The cards are all fantastic, as were the descriptions and info that went along!

Here are Bakeneko's cards:

"Pointturtle"

"Amorphic Turtle"

"Seeds ready to leave the soil"

"Spooks in the contour map"

"The ocean's getting my camera wet"

"Gradiated Squid"

Your titles are all fantastic and great examples of how titles can really open up new meanings to the cards. Thank you!

And Robinpich's cards:

"Under the Sea"

"Zentangle"

"Smile"

"Love Birds"

"Butterflies & Flowers"

"Zentangle letter cut out"

Thanks for the great variety of techniques and materials! The bubble wrap one is really cool--- I never would have thought of that!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012 08:27:42 PM by leather and lace » THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2013 2/50
2013 Art Journal-along

Little Visitors Swap
Fabric Printing Swap
leather and lace

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2012 09:52:06 PM »

Sorry this update is coming so late, but I'm sad to report that even with Linda giving me an extended signup period (an extra four days; today was the new deadline) , we had no 4-Hers sign up for our workshop  Sad. I'm sorry that you went through all the trouble to help even though it's not going to happen, but rest assured that I won't be leaving you hanging.

Dreadlady, I haven't received your cards as of yet, I'm sure they just got delayed in the holiday rush, but I will be sending you, Bakeneko, and Robinpich each six cards and supplies to compensate for the ones you sent me, as well as the grab bags that were to go to the kids. If you guys are all still interested, we could also still do the personal swap if you'd like.

I can't tell you if it was lack of interest or what, but most likely it was the age limit I had to put on the workshop. If younger kids could've signed up, I think we would've had something. Again, I'm really sorry this didn't work out, and I hope you aren't too disappointed that all your cards will be made by me Tongue (Maybe I'll get my mom to try some. Does that count?)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2013 2/50
2013 Art Journal-along

Little Visitors Swap
Fabric Printing Swap
Robinpich

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2013 05:39:08 AM »

AWWW, Leather, that is too bad.  The kids just don't realize what they are missing since ATCs are soooo fun.  I know you're disappointed, but maybe try again some other time. 

I appreciate you sending all of us 6 cards in return, but you don't have to do that (unless you just want to)  Smiley
I always love getting ATCs in the mail, but please (at least I feel this way, don't know about everyone else), don't "kill" yourself trying to make 18 cards (whew!), I'd be worn out and have NO ideas for that many cards. hahahaaa...
But I will be excited to get them :-)
Thanks for letting us know. 

(and the bubble wrap was TOTally not my idea, I saw it on another ATC board and just loved it, so gave it a try).

Thanks again,
Robin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog
Bakeneko
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2013 02:00:19 PM »

Leather and lace you don't have to send me six cards. It is 4-H thing I know how hard it is to get them organized and get kids to attend. Don't feel bad that's just how organizing volunteer groups work. Try doing it again at a camp or a workshop or like a regular monthly meeting so that you have a captive audience.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leather and lace

« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2013 03:42:42 PM »

Thanks guys Smiley Now that I think about it, I didn't think that it would end up being 18 cards total , but I do promise to send a few for each of you Tongue Yes, it is very hard to get 4-Hers to do anything other than regular meetings, especially on school break. I do want to try again eventually--- maybe I just need to target individuals so I know I have a few people to attend for sure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2013 2/50
2013 Art Journal-along

Little Visitors Swap
Fabric Printing Swap
Robinpich

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2013 08:13:53 PM »

Wanted to post the goodies I rec'd from Leather.  They are FABULOUS!!!
Thank you so much.  I love them all...........

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Japanese Style Marinade
How to Make Sichuan Mapo Tofu
How to Make Chinese Scallion Pancakes
Sushi Rolling 101: Chef in Your Pocket - Part 2
Sushi Rolling 101: Chef in Your Pocket - Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...