A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,568
Currently Running With Scissors:
485 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Long Awaited Monster Bag Tutorial**MoreNewBags**on pg4!  (Read 36857 times)
Tags for this thread: monster_bag , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ikillbarbies
Poor College Student

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2005 02:05:14 PM »

Check page 3 for my newest designs and bags!

Since perfectly flawed has decided to leave our community and move onto other things, I guess that leaves me to make a tutorial.  Alright.  I haven't done a long photo tutorial yet, and I know that everyone is on a different sewing level.  So, if I point out obvious things, I'm sorry, and if I leave out complicated parts, let me know.  I've been meaning to put a pattern drafting tutorial on the board, maybe later this summer.

Here we go!

This is my finished bag:

Step 1
Lay out your pattern and trace your pattern onto the wrongside of your fabric, make sure that the grain is going in the same direction.  Don't forget to put in your seam allowance, because the fabric is bulky and moves, it really helps to have it drawn on.  LABEL EVERYTHING!  I'm not sure if you can see it in these photos, but each piece has it's name, the seam allowance and  grain direction on it.

And the lining:

Step 2
All of your details, ie. applique, pockets, strap, have to be done before you assemble the bag.  It's important to plan out your entire bag before you start, otherwise it's hard to go back and change it.
I started with my pockets. 

Pictures of the finished pockets:

Then did the felt face.

For the strap, cut 2 5" pieces of webbing.  Put a D-ring on each and fold in half, and stitch closed.  These will go on the sides of the bag.  Take a long piece of webbing and hold onto it.

Step 3
I then assembled my outside bag (the faux fur).

The one thing I forgot to do on this bag, but have since corrected on my patterns is to cut out a square in the corners, so they will join better.

And then, the lining.  Attach all the pockets to the lining and the two webbing and D-ring pieces.  Then sew the lining together.

Step 4

Attach the lining to the faux fur.  This can be a little tricky in setting up.  You want the fur and the lining rightsides together.  This is where I usually make a mistake.  I reccomend pining one side and turn it right side out, just to make sure you're putting it together correctly.  The D-rings should be hidden between the lining and fur.  You should be able to see only the end of the webbing.  I would have a picture of this, but I didn't do it correctly.  I will post a picture when I make my next one.

If you're making a messanger bag, sew all edges except for the end of the flap.  Turn rightside out and topstich the end of the flap.  The seam will disappear when you ruffle the fur.  Attach the long strap to the D-rings with a giant X.

If you're making a tote, then sew the front, back and one side.  Turn rightside out and top stitch the last side.

TADA!

So that was my technique.  I'll try and update this with better pictures and instructions as I make more of them (I'm working on setting up an online store and doing craft fairs).  I feel that most people who want this tutorial just want it to make them for themselves, or their friends.  They are pretty similar to the jordy bag, just different fabric, so it isn't hard to figure them out without my meager tutorial.  I'm sorry that perfectlyflawed feels how she does about sharing, but I think that if you want to sell them you'd figure it out anyway.  Which is exactly what I did, I put my perfectionist tendencies to work to make quality goods.

I'm almost done with a tote version.  It should be posted by this weekend.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010 08:35:19 AM by rackycoo - Reason: to fix images » THIS ROCKS   Logged

YouTube Channel Home to my animations and video shorts
knitrrgrrl
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005 03:58:13 PM »

Hooray, hooray, hooray hooray hooray. Hooray, hooray, hooray hooray hooray. Hoo-ray, hoo-ooo-ooo-ray, hoo-hoo-hoo-ray, hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo-ray.

*cough*
Sorry, was that Mozart?

Anyway, glad to see this tutorial. I was just thinking yesterday how I wanted to make my own version! *cartwheel of spazzy goodness*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PpCakes
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005 04:29:48 PM »

where did you get your fun fur  Embarrassed i cant find any anywhere anymore its like joannes just stopped buying it or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

visit my blog, its full of crafty awesome things, and life!

xo
http://ckscribbles.blogspot.com/
MiSS_KiTTY_RAWRs
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005 04:44:14 PM »

thats so cute!
i saw perfectlyflawed's version and that's how i found your tutorial

i would love to make one but i dont have a sewing machine and i can't sew by hand very well...

thanks for the tutorial anyways!

by the way...about how much of the furry fabric did you need?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(=^-^=)
ILiveForJesus
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2005 05:21:30 PM »

Oh wowo

Edit:*Did you ever decide on a name?*
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005 05:23:31 PM by ILiveForJesus » THIS ROCKS   Logged
fort_loop
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2005 06:42:02 PM »

Quote from: MiSS_KiTTY_RAWRs link=topic=41561.msg369404#msg369404 date=1120175054

by the way...about how much of the furry fabric did you need?
[quote

Ditto on that question.  I'd like to know your finished dimensions and your yardages.  Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fort_loop
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2005 06:46:44 AM »

Important question:  Did you prewash the furry stuff?  I'm afraid.  Maybe I'll cut a snip and wash it to see what happens.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkpinkycat
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2005 07:01:30 AM »

thank you! thank you! thank you! I have been waiting. I got pink fur at Joann's. I can't wait to start
THIS ROCKS   Logged
_Steph_
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2005 09:02:24 AM »

I never wash my purses/bags, but I have washed my daughter's stuffed animals accidentally before (made with fur similar to this) and it was a MESS.... when you go to the fabric store the washing/care instructions are right there on the bolt, make sure you check it - the fur for this particular tote may be different than the fur you buy - and may have different care instructions.

I wanna see everyone's bags when they are done, these are adorable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Steph~
Aleahcim
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2005 04:52:38 PM »

FANTASTIC. Simply fantastic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hardcover books made into journals.
SaltyDesigns.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Shoot a rock band
How to Understand DPI
How to Shoot a Two Year Old Child
How to Shoot a Photography Session
How to Shoot Grads on Location
Latest Blog Articles
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...