A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,065
Currently Running With Scissors:
410 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Silicone Mold And Resin Technique  (Read 545 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

zunebuggy
« on: October 16, 2012 10:34:28 AM »

I'm new to silicone molds and resin.  Not new to crafting.

I want to make a silicone rubber mold of some keys removed from a keyboard.  I am using a clear resin for the casting material. I also am going to mix some pigment in with the resin.  I want the finished keys to be a transparent neon green (via the pigment). I read reviews that with Amazing Mold Putty, the putty is not that smooth and clear objects made from resin in these molds will come out cloudy instead of clear due to the slight texture of Amazing Mold Putty.  Also I have never done this before, so I want to know the best way. 

I was planning on making or finding a cube shaped box (approx 2" x 2" x 2") and filling it a little with the silicone compound, putting the keyboard key in and fill the cube up to the top with the remaining silicone.  Let it harden and (blindly I guess) cut the cube in half with a razor blade hoping I find the key right in the center of my cut so when I take the two haves apart and remove the key, I have a complete mold. Then I was going to fill each half with water and suck all the water back out with a syringe and note the CC level in the syringe. Then I was going to put the two halves back together without the key and using a drill bit without the drill, twist it by hand and drill a hole down to the cavity that was left by the keyboard key.  Then I was going fill the syringe to the same CC level with the green resin and inject it into the hole.  Let cure and hopefully remove an exact copy of my keyboard key only transparent neon green.  Then I was going to use rub on letters and cover each key with light coat of clear nail polish so the letters do not rub off and then replace the keys on my keyboard with a small LED underneath to light the whole thing.

Here are my questions:

1). Is this plan doable or is there an easier way?  Harder way?
2). What is the best silicone to use so the keys are smooth, clear and I get the best results?
3). The resin pigment I found online is a powder.  Does this mix well with the resin without clumping or leaving undisolved grains of pigment?  Is there a liquid pigment out there that works better?

Thank you very much.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
microjivvy
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012 01:52:49 AM »

I can't help you with the resin portion of your question, but I've been experimenting with silicone and ended up with a silicone "clay" recipe that is very smooth and I think it work for your mold. http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=414864.0

Rather than do the "drilling" bit, I would take a plastic coffee stirrer or mini-dowel and mold   a "sprue" into the silicone at the same time as molding the key. Since the object you use to create the sprue will extend beyond the silicone cube, it will also give you a guide for where to slice the cube in half.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MicroJivvy.com:  Whatever I happen to be working on.
My Pinterest
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best & Worst Celebrity Beauty Looks Of The Week
Best Nail-Polish "Cocktails & Coconuts"
How To Fix Dry Mascara
Best Beauty Products For Under $15
Expert Shares Quick Fixes For Common Fashion Emergencies
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...