A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,496
Currently Running With Scissors:
644 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: making a corset with light stretch fabric, how to stabalize?  (Read 875 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Turbosaurus
« on: October 16, 2012 07:47:48 AM »

So I am making a corset, and the fabric that I needed to use was selected for color and pattern, but its too flimsy to work on its own.  I am not sure what to do about it.  Can I just use an iron on iterfacing to give it more stability? Do I then have to line it?

The pattern is a total PITA with four front gussets, two front darts, and four hip gussets, so I am trying to avoid having to sew it twice (to line with a sturdier fabric- ) or three times- for interfacing and lining. 

Can I use an iron on interfacing without lining it?

I was thinking of just cutting out iron on interfacing in the final shapes (in other words -without seam allowances except for an overlap at the sides to reinforce that seam).  iron onto the finished corset pieces then top stitch on both sides of the original seams to make sure it all holds together?     

How would you do it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012 04:42:54 PM »

I tried to use iron-on with something stretchy once... Don't remember the project, but oh, the horror! The outer fabric still stretched and peeled away from the interfacing.

I'd recommend simply underlining the fashion fabric with your strength fabric and treating them as one layer. While coutil is traditional for corsetry, I've read about people achieving good results with denim, twill, canvas, duck, pillow ticking... I just used a really fine-woven mid-weight interfacing for the one corset I made, and it turned out decent. Not awesome, as it still ripples a little at the waist, but decent.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012 07:52:10 AM »

just like Alexus, I would recommend sewing the fabric to something stiffer before sewing it all together.

If there isn't a lot of stretch it might work to fuse interfacing to it, but it really depends on the fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
Turbosaurus
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012 01:49:11 PM »

Thank you both for the replies! I appreciate it.  It really is helpful to know someone tired it and it worked poorly,

I really didn't want to sew two, so With your valuable help, and that this will probably be a one time wear for Halloweenen- I decided to do interfacing, but to solve the issues you brought to my mind...

there are so many seam overlaps from each gusset and dart that I'm tucking the stabilizer under the allowances on the wrong side, pressing the seam allowances over it, then top stitching with a stretch stitch to keep everything together. 
I sewed all the fabric pieces together, but didn't finish the hems on top/ bottom.  I pressed all the allowances in the direction they needed to go, laid the cut interfacing (cut the actual pieces without seam allowances by tracing from the half-finished corset). I ironed it on, folded the seam allowances back over the interfacing and stretch stitched the allowances flat over the edges of the interfacing.  pattern calls for top stitch either way.   I took a photo, but I'm not allowed to post one until I'participated more on the forum, which I certainly intend to do!

wen I actually do a real corset for regular wear I'll just use the right fabric. I'm looking at this as practice try. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Plate a Roasted Chicken
How to Roast a Chicken
How to Make Chicken Sauce
How to Make Chicken Stock
How to Make Herb Butter
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...