A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,769
Currently Running With Scissors:
524 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ideas on how to make seaweed?, & mermaid costume so far  (Read 4231 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

santacruzsugar
« on: October 15, 2012 05:37:23 PM »

I need your help, fellow crafty people!

I'm going to be a mermaid for halloween, and going to be "topless", and wanted the illusion that I was "covered up" by seaweed. I'm really wanting to make a "seaweed" shawl, scarf, necklace thing. But I have no ideas on what to do.

I was thinking of a green boa, but they are too bright and are obviously not seaweed. I examined the plastic fake seaweed at a fish store, but wasn't sure what to do with it.  Undecided Does anyone have any ideas? Low budget is key!

This is what I have for my costume so far.

Every year we go to a potluck party, with a DJ, so I wanted to make sure I could dance. I made a pencil skirt out of cheap, shiny blue fabric (although its so crappy it really shouldn't be called that!), and sewed a few layers of gathered tulle to the bottom. The hall they rent for the party is cold, so I wanted long sleeves, so I made a nude-colored long sleeve top that I tacked to the skirt. I have a longish wig, that I'm going to string shells & rocks into, and I made a giant sea star from Fimo to clip over my ear.

I'd appreciate feedback and seaweed suggestions!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012 05:37:50 PM by santacruzsugar » THIS ROCKS   Logged

santacruzsugar
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012 06:21:35 PM »

I should also mention I don't know how to knit....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quasibonko
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012 08:16:49 PM »

Maybe dye strips of fabric various shades of green and kind of interweave them to make seaweed-ish strands? I'd cut them in long but wavy strips with some parts thicker and some thinner. You could throw in different textured materials to make it look more organic. If you used fabric you could maybe hot glue or stitch in some of the faux-seaweed and maybe troll the silk foliage aisle at the store. Make sure to post the after pics! Looks like it will be a great costume  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lurv2knit
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012 08:46:33 PM »

I think ruffling some strips of fabric would look good
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mirthgoddess
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012 12:59:08 PM »

When you said you don't know how to knit, it gave me an idea! Maybe you could get different variegated yarns in seaweed-like colors, drape them over the bodice in an interesting pattern, and tack it in place with a few stitches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012 04:33:53 PM »

How about instead of seaweed, you make a shawl that is a fishing net and stick various things in it? I saw that somewhere...

Couldn't find the one I'm thinking of, but did find this one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

santacruzsugar
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012 08:42:45 PM »

How about instead of seaweed, you make a shawl that is a fishing net and stick various things in it? I saw that somewhere...

Couldn't find the one I'm thinking of, but did find this one.

Great idea! I missed that post when searching for mermaid things. It looks like she has a strand of "seaweed" that is created from cutouts. I can probably create something like that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IndividualFrog

the petals will darken and sink

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012 09:04:09 PM »

If you cut a spiral of fabric and hold it by one end, it looks pretty seaweedy to me.  Quick searching shows me this example: http://jaymamalme.blogspot.com/2011/11/make-no-sew-ruffled-scarf-from-t-shirt.html  But you don't need to use jersey, you can use any fabric.  Just get it seaweed-green.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

夢も後なく夜も明けて、村雨と聞きしもけさ見れば、松風ばかりや残るらん、松風ばかりや残るらん
John deBoer Custom
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Beautifully Wrap a Bottle of Wine
How to Create a Fall Wreath in Under 30 Minutes
How to Make Homemade Bows
Pat Mitchell: Policy Comes from the Top
Pat Mitchell: The Audacity to Take Risk
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...