So for Halloween I decided to create a human torso appetizer! The base, ribs, and organ "bowls" are made from puff pastry, as well as the intestines.
A rundown of what the organs are made of:
- the heart is a roasted beet
- the lungs are made of white bean dip and hummus
- the liver is filled with pate
- the colon is made out of salami
- the stomach is a cheeseball
- the gallbladder is a pickle
- the intestines are puff pastry filled with sloppy joe mix
I baked some puff pastry for the base, and covered it in smoked salmon for the "skin" - I attached the liver and lung bowls to the base with cream cheese and then filled them
It took a little while to assemble, but it was totally worth it! If you've got a large oven with lots of baking sheets you should be able to bake all the pieces at once, which will save so much time!
I've got a full step-by-step tutorial of it with lots more photos and details on instructables if anyone is interested. http://www.instructables.com/id/halloween-human-torso-appetizer/