A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
787 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Doctor Who Homemade Fat Quarters!! And a few other neat things...  (Read 6569 times)
Tags for this thread: doctor_who , fat_quarter , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sheepBlue
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012 02:04:48 PM »

Emma, darling... You told me you were doing this, but to actually see it!! OMG!!! Brilliant!!! Let me know when you're ready for me to place my order. Mwahaha!!

Haha!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivoryh1632
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012 12:29:22 AM »

Ivoryh - I used actual screens, though I cheated with the mesh. It's not proper screen printing mesh, but some organza I bought at Joanns which works surprisingly well (it's not perfect but definitely does the trick). For pretty much all of these I only had to wash the screen once I was done printing the fabric. If you're not having a ton of luck with modge podge you might try using Speedball drawing fluid/screen filler. That's what I use for most of my prints. There is occasionally still bleeding but that's usually because I used too much ink or something.

thanks for the tips. i actually switched from using mod podge to using latex paint which i'm liking a lot better cuz it lays flatter and doesn't stretch or stick to itself when its dried. but i like the idea of using organza to make the screens. i've seen some tutes for making your own screens using cheap frames but the screen printing mesh is expensive. i'm thinking a lot of my problems might be in using the stockings as a screen so i'll try making an organza screen first (since i have that on hand already) and then if its still bleeding i'll go for the speedball filler.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goatgoddess

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012 10:41:52 AM »

that is beyond cool!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wulf

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012 04:38:52 AM »

Oh, these are fantastic! I like the sonic screwdriver the best.

This reminds me that I haven't done any screenprinting for a long time, and I should get back to it. I've never used anything but organza or other fine synthetic material, usually just whatever I had around the house. (I know there is proper screen mesh fabric, but I don't know how much better it is to work with.) A good solid frame is important, but not difficult to acquire. Artist's canvas stretchers work pretty good. I haven't tried printing with an embroidery hoop, but I can't see how it would be sturdy enough for more that just a one-off or a few spot prints. How do you get any sort of registration for multiple prints?

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sheepBlue

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012 05:11:17 AM »

Oh, these are fantastic! I like the sonic screwdriver the best.

This reminds me that I haven't done any screenprinting for a long time, and I should get back to it. I've never used anything but organza or other fine synthetic material, usually just whatever I had around the house. (I know there is proper screen mesh fabric, but I don't know how much better it is to work with.) A good solid frame is important, but not difficult to acquire. Artist's canvas stretchers work pretty good. I haven't tried printing with an embroidery hoop, but I can't see how it would be sturdy enough for more that just a one-off or a few spot prints. How do you get any sort of registration for multiple prints?

Wulf

Having worked with both, there's several things I've noticed while using the drawing fluid/screen filler method: 1) I'm having a really hard time getting fine lines, and I'm wondering if its because of the organza possibly having slightly bigger holes than screen printing mesh, and 2) after covering my whole screen with the screen filler and letting it set, there are still tiny fine holes that resist being closed up by the filler. The lovely kawaiihelen sent me some proper printing mesh in our personal swap so I'll be using that the next time I make some frames and will be able to compare the two.

And I use artist canvases too for the frames haha. I feel slightly guilty every time I pull the canvas off but it's cheaper than getting the stretcher bars themselves so I forget the guilt easily  Cheesy

As for registration, it's not a perfect system by any means, but I take some masking tape and make a line where the bottom of my frame should hit every time I move it over one (or down one in the case of my jawbone print). In some of them, like the weeping angels, I got to the point where I was just ignoring the tape and freestyling it. I know the registration isn't perfect but I think it looks pretty good  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goldfishpollywog

Goldfish kisses *<><

I have Never met an unimportant person. Never.

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012 05:49:27 PM »

Stunning!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Pin(trest) are mightier than the sword.

LV Tumblr - possible swap spoilers
that1girl
i want to learn every craft there is

crafting for the fun of it

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012 04:59:21 PM »

love them all
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maxxev
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012 09:23:25 PM »

amazing work! loving the sonic screwdriver fabric Kiss. ive always wanted to try printing my own fabric, think il be asking for a screen printing kit for xmas
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thenorm02
Crafty Mamma <3

didnt know my whole world would fit in to 8lbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012 09:50:44 PM »

holy crap you are awesome!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
creativelycraftyjenn
Crafty Nerd

Each day is a new chance to create

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2012 07:50:22 AM »

I really want those Doctor Who fat quarters. I don't know how to do screen printing, and I need to find some decently priced fabric with Doctor Who print. Haha. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crocheter. Photographer. Newbie Sewer. Artist. Dreamer. Nerd. Yep... thats me. Smiley

The Quirky Craftster Blog:
http://creativelycraftyjenn.blogspot.com/
The Quirky Craftster Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Creatively-Crafty-by-Jenn/300458116662898
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Essential Summer Beauty Tips To Keep Your Makeup Looking Fresh This Season
How to Make Your Own Coconut-Lemon Body Scrub
How to Do Eye Nails Design
Birchbox June 2014 Unboxing: OMG With RJS
Banish Summer Beauty Bummers
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...