A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
444 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Embroideries of Kent  (Read 652 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jolyon
Rosalind Julia

View Profile WWW
« on: October 13, 2012 03:04:02 AM »

My latest two makes. Recently I have been working on a few home projects.  Home in this case being the county where I grew up, Kent.  I have been meaning to work on some projects along these lines for atleast the last two years.  You see in Kent we have all sorts of lovely churches, landscapes and unusual buildings.  In my first project, which was possibly quite ambitious I have sought to capture a night scene of the iconic windmill in the heart of my home town.  I borrowed the colour palette from Van Gogh as I wasnt sure how to capture the building in the night.  It was quite a freestyle piece as I only made a very basic sketch to work from.  I also adapted my source image by removing the high buildings on Stone Street as they cut the left hand side off the piece and made that side look too heavy. My second home piece is of the fields looking across to Horsmonden Church and the Oasts there.  Horsmonden church is quite unusual in the fact that it is located some way from the village of Horsmonden.  There are various reasons thrown around for this.  It also happens to be a stereotypical view of Kent I guess because of its prominent oast houses.  I actually really enjoyed creating this piece, again from a brief sketch.  I am very happy with the way the field and foliage have come out and I think the oasthouses are particularly cute.  If an oasthouse can be cute!  My final project is crossing the border into East Sussex (not really very far from me at all) and hopes to capture Rye.  Ill keep you updated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

charlieandwillow

Professional viking-tamer & bear-wrangler.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012 06:42:14 AM »

My bestie lives in Dover and she would go nuts-o-bananas for these. I love the oast houses most of all (probably because they're pretty common near where I grew up on the Gloucestershire/Worcestershire/Herefordshire border too). Much love for these.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jolyon
Rosalind Julia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012 10:36:29 AM »

Thanks very much Smiley.  Oasthouses are great.  A friend of the family lives in one, converted it when living in Oasthouses wasnt the normal use for them and so Ive always loved them. Gloucestershire/Worcestershire/Herefordshire border is beautiful place to be too.  I live in the South West these day and I love the countryside round there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lisalady161
Domestic Goddess & Closet Anarchist

...it's beautiful, and so are you...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012 05:31:38 PM »

These are lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

'First your pants, then your shoes' - Gary Larson, The Far Side
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Star Style: Who Inspires Solange Knowles
Dress Code Violations From The 2013 Grammys
Best & Worst Dressed From The Grammys 2013 Red Carpet
How to Pick a Swimsuit for an Hourglass-Shaped Body
How to Pick a Swimsuit for a Pear-Shaped Body
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...