A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,489
Currently Running With Scissors:
670 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quick and Cheap - My "use what you've got" Halloween Mantle - Pom Flowers Added  (Read 550 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

EerieNoodles
I may not be perfect, but I'm so close it's almost eerie.

Trust Life!

View Profile WWW
« on: October 11, 2012 01:27:48 PM »

I'mmm baaaack!
Like that's original.

So, I have a goofy little fake fireplace in my living room. My former room mate is making me keep it for her so I can't really do anything crazy with it. Usually it's just a drop off area for keys and library books and stuff. But the other night I got the urge to decorate... and having nothing to decorate with wasn't gonna stop me. I dove into my crafting closet and grabbed everything remotely Halloweenish I could find and got to work.

I started with a card I bought years ago just cuz I liked it.

But it needed a frame. So I stole snagged an old frame from my former room mates closet (she'll never remember it). God, it was awful, all fake wood and gold... so I painted it black. This took almost all night since I was working with a foam brush instead of spray paint.
Of course the frame was way bigger than the card so I made a sorta mat from some glittery spider web scrapbooking paper and put that on top of some brown paper. I crumpled the brown paper just cuz. A little glue sticking later and the picture was all ready.

An old candle found a home on the mantle with the picture.

I had another little picture frame and I filled that one with more of the glittery spider web paper. Inspiration struck and I cut a cute little pumpkin out of the other odd papers I had. Made it a stem by rolling some of the brown paper and glue sticking it on top. It needed a leaf, but I didn't have anything even remotely green... poor leafless pumpkin. More desperation inspiration and I used a green Sharpy to color some white paper, cut it out and my pumpkin has a leaf.

Next I grabbed a bottle of Jamaican Rum Cream (yes, I just got back from Jamaica), finished the booze, rinsed it out and wrapped it with twine.

I almost forgot... the first thing I made was a little bunting to hang on the bottom of the mantle. Just used more scrapbook paper and some twine I found in the laundry room.

Then I cut out some bats, just cuz I had some paper left and I had this really cute little bat template I wanted to use. I plan on hanging them with thread in the window, but till then they're just chillin' on the mantle.

That's it!

Nope... that's not it.
I really thought the twine wrapped bottle needed something so I made some pom pom flowers for it.

I think they add some needed height and interest. Don't I sound all designer-ish?

« Last Edit: October 20, 2012 09:35:44 AM by EerieNoodles » THIS ROCKS   Logged
cankle

I'm a piece of work.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012 06:53:52 PM »

I think it is all fantastic! I especially like how you "shopped your home."
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012 09:26:49 PM »

Agree. I love the way you used what you had.   Particularly impressed by the pumpkin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Essence Gives Four Service Women Military Makeovers
How to Wear Pink Makeup
Mally Roncal Makeup Backstage at the Tracy Reese NYFW Fall Show
How to Hide Gray Hairs
How to Fix a Fake-Looking Self-Tan
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...